Subject: [IRTF-Announce] Fwd: RFC 7980 on A Framework for Defining Network Complexity

From: "Eggert, Lars" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2016 07:36:16 +0000

Begin forwarded message:

From: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Subject: RFC 7980 on A Framework for Defining Network Complexity
Date: October 21, 2016 at 21:09:40 GMT+2
To: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>, [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>, [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

       RFC 7980

       Title:      A Framework for Defining Network
                   Complexity
       Author:     M. Behringer, A. Retana,
                   R. White, G. Huston
       Status:     Informational
       Stream:     Independent
       Date:       October 2016
       Mailbox:    [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>,
                   [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>,
                   [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>,
                   [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
       Pages:      24
       Characters: 56510
       Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

       I-D Tag:    draft-behringer-ncrg-complexity-framework-02.txt

       URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7980

       DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7980

Complexity is a widely used parameter in network design, yet there is
no generally accepted definition of the term.  Complexity metrics
exist in a wide range of research papers, but most of these address
only a particular aspect of a network, for example, the complexity of
a graph or software.  While it may be impossible to define a metric
for overall network complexity, there is a desire to better
understand the complexity of a network as a whole, as deployed today
to provide Internet services.  This document provides a framework to
guide research on the topic of network complexity as well as some
practical examples for trade-offs in networking.

This document summarizes the work of the IRTF's Network Complexity
Research Group (NCRG) at the time of its closure.  It does not
present final results, but a snapshot of an ongoing activity, as a
basis for future work.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
 https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
 https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>.  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC