Subject: [IRTF-Announce] The special meeting on AI/ML in Networking

From: Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2018 14:01:23 -0400

Hi, all,

Below is some information on a short meeting organized within the NMRG's
sessions on AI and ML in Networking.  In addition to sharing the
announcement, this mail is to make clear that the meeting is not for
planning for a potential IRTF RG.  It has only been a year since the IRTF's
Proposed NWML Proposed RG was called off.  My take at this time is that
each RG should explore what is promising for them in AI/ML developments.

That said, Montreal is a hub for great ML R&D, and there will be
interesting new folks joining this special meeting, so see you Thursday!

Allison
IRTF Chair

*IRTF Special Meeting on AI/ML in Networking*

*IETF 102, Montreal, Canada*

*Thursday, August 18th - 18:10-19:10 Afternoon session III*

*Duluth Meeting Room (NMRG session)*

In the last few years and especially in the last few months, the use of
Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning in networking went from a nice
future application to an almost must have. Diverse networking operations
from trend detection in traffic monitoring, beam assignment in 5G,
congestion control and intent-based networking have identified AI as a
means to improve their overall performance under more and more dynamic
conditions. One may also imagine how AI can impact the very design of
networks and protocols, or else how to solve networking problems in
original ways using novel and network-specific artificial intelligence
techniques. A number of special issues and conferences have already been
organized under these themes and the community wanting to use these new
tools is rapidly expanding. In addition to these, network architects and
designers are also considering the impact of the use of AI/ML on the
network themselves. For example: AI in vehicles generates very large data
sets that need to be sent to the cloud for analysis or to rely on fog/edge
computing. Traffic engineering also requires to analyze very large amounts
of real-time information that then needs to be sent back to the network
nodes for updates and new features. And the application landscape is
rapidly expanding each with its own requirements on the network.

The meeting wants to bring together the IETF and IRTF community that has
interests and stakes in the development of both AI/ML based tools and on
the networks that will support them. While we are targeting an open
discussion we already have some presentations planned and you are all
welcome to submit a request before Friday, July 13th so we can finalize the
agenda.

Hoping to see you in Montreal!

Marie-José & Laurent

---

From: Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2018 20:15:04 -0400

Laurent sent a correction: the date is Thurs July 19, not 18, which was a
typo.