Subject: [IRTF-Announce] Travel Grants: Applied Networking Research Workshop 2020 (ANRW'20)

From: Theresa Enghardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 09:41:47 -0700

The ACM/IRTF Applied Networking Research Workshop 2020 (ANRW '20), which
is planned to take place on July 27, 2020, in Madrid, Spain, is pleased
to announce the availability of student travel grants.

https://irtf.org/anrw/2020/travelgrants.html

Travel grants are available to students currently enrolled in Bachelor,
Masters or PhD programs at any university.

Travel grant awards are meant to partially cover the cost of attending
and participating in the workshop. The only travel expenses that can be
reimbursed are:

- economy air or rail fares
- hotel
- workshop registration

The award recipients will need to pay for the expenses ahead of time and
get reimbursed after the workshop. The exact number of awards will
depend on the availability of funds and will be determined as funding
amounts are finalized.

**Important Dates **

Application deadline: May 29, 2020

Notification deadline: June 5, 2020

ANRW ’20, co-located with IETF 108 in Madrid: July 27, 2020

**Selection Criteria **

The following criteria will be used in the selection process:

- Preference will be given to applicants that do not present a paper at
the workshop. The rationale is that the participation costs for a
presenting author should be covered by their home institution.
- Evidence of a serious interest in applied networking, as demonstrated
by coursework and/or project experience, is required. Advanced students
close to graduation will also be given priority, when possible, in order
to aid their job search.
- We strongly encourage participation of women and under-represented
minorities.
- After giving priority to the above criteria, (co-)authors of papers
may be considered, but will be given lower priority. The rationale is to
support people that contribute to the workshop but could not attend
otherwise, e.g., due to budget or other constraints. The applicant
should explain why it is impossible to support them from other sources.

**Where and How to Apply **

All application materials (applicant’s info, CV, and letters) should be
submitted by email to the Travel Grants Chair, Theresa Enghardt,
according to the following instructions.

The applicant should email:

- an application letter
- an up-to-date CV

as PDF documents to [email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> (Subject line: ANRW'20 travel grant
application: APPLICANT'S NAME)

The applicant’s faculty advisor should email:

- a support letter

as a PDF document to [email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> (Subject line: ANRW'20 support
letter: APPLICANT'S NAME)

The applicant’s letter should be clearly divided in the following sections:

- an explicit identification of the applicant’s university and country
of study (e.g., URL to the department’s home page, etc.)
- an explicit identification of the applicant’s faculty advisor
- a brief summary of research interests and plans for future research
- why the workshop attendance is important to the applicant’s research
- a cost estimate of the trip, including the cost of economy air or rail
fare, hotel (identify the source of any price quote)
- any additional information the applicant feels is relevant to support
their case

The advisor’s letter should be clearly divided in the following sections:

- verification of the applicant’s good standing in the institution
- explain why the applicant would benefit from attending the workshop
and how he/she could contribute to the workshop
- explain the current funding status and why the applicant is in need of
the travel grant

The faculty advisor should personally email the support letter to the
steering committee, in order to keep the contents of their letter
confidential.

**Supporters and Sponsors **

The ANRW ’20 receives financial support from these organizations:
- COMCAST
- Akamai

Please contact the Steering Committee ([email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]>) if you are interested in supporting the ANRW
’20. Funds are used to offset the fixed costs of the event and subsidize
student attendance.

The ANRW workshop series is sponsored by the following organizations:
- ACM SIGCOMM
- IRTF