Subject: [IRTF-Announce] Call for papers ACM/IRTF Applied Networking Research Workshop (ANRW '22)

From: "Taejoong (tijay) Chung" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 15:01:37 -0400

Call for Papers
ACM/IRTF Applied Networking Research Workshop 2022 (ANRW'22)
July 23-29, 2022, co-located with IETF-114 in Philadelphia
https://irtf.org/anrw/2022/cfp.html

We would like to invite you to consider submitting your work to the
ACM/IRTF Applied Networking Research Workshop 2022 (ANRW'22)

ANRW is an academic workshop that provides a forum for researchers,
vendors, network operators, and the Internet standards community to present
and discuss emerging results in applied networking research, and to find
inspiration from topics and open problems discussed at the IETF.

ANRW'22 will be co-located with the IETF-114 meeting, on July 23-29, 2022.

# Important Dates
* Paper Submission Deadline: 27 April 2022
* Paper Notification Deadline: 25 May 2022

# Call for Papers
The workshop combines presentations of new research in the form of short
papers and lightning papers. ANRW’22 accepts the following types of
submissions:

* Short papers are publications that present new research that has not been
previously published. For a short paper to be considered for publication,
please submit work describing early/emerging results in a relevant topic
area. There is a 6-page limit for short papers, including figures, tables,
and any appendices, optionally followed by unlimited additional pages for
references.
* Lightning papers can provide a summary of early, emerging, or on-going
work as well as short updates of previously published work. This type of
submission will be presented in a short, lightning-talk style. For a
lightning paper to be considered for presentation, please submit an
extended abstract that is no longer than 2 pages, with a maximum of one
additional page for references only.
Paper topics should be relevant to the standardization activities of
related IETF working groups or activity in related IRTF research groups.

We note that the structure and use of the Internet, and Internet services,
are evolving in ways that would have been difficult to anticipate two years
ago. The list is long, including but not limited to shifts in traffic
patterns and demands with remote work over broadband access networks,
operational responses to large-scale physical and socio-political events,
also trends towards increased multiplexing of connections over fewer IP
addresses for various reasons that include scale, adaptability, and privacy.

* Development and deployment experience of new or enhanced Internet
protocols (e.g., for transport, security, or routing).
* Improvements, measurements, and analysis of the security and privacy of
new and existing Internet protocols and privacy enhancing technologies.
* Evolution of interconnection, and new approaches on network management,
operations, and control.
* Practical congestion control for heterogeneous networks and novel
applications.
* Better ways of specifying protocols, including usable techniques for
protocol verification.
* Interactions between CDNs, anycast, and edge services such as DNS and
Firewalls.
* Research and analysis of consolidation and centralization of the Internet.
* Techniques for logging/monitoring of Internet traffic and root-cause
analysis, as well as debugging of (encrypted) Internet protocols.
* Measurement and analysis of the performance of networks, including the
performance or quality of experience of networked applications.
* Design, measurement, analysis, or deployment of wireless, mobile, and
cellular networks.
* Internet resilience and recovery in physically challenging environments
and events (e.g., remote areas, natural disaster situations).
* Approaches and efforts towards decentralizing and democratizing the
Internet.
* Understanding the impact and interoperability of diverse clients (e.g.,
IoT, robotics, manufacturing).
* The changing semantics of IP addresses and connection-level metadata at
large-scale (e.g. Addressing Agility, Private Relay).
* Topics relevant to the standardization activities of related IETF working
groups.
* Topics relevant to activity in related IRTF research groups.
* ANRW’22 is co-located with IETF-114, and takes place on July 23-29, 2022.
This gives IETF as well as workshop attendees the opportunity to exchange
ideas on topics and open problems discussed at the workshop and the IETF.

It is hoped that ANRW’22 will be a hybrid event with an in-person component
co-locating with the IETF-114 meeting in Philadelphia, although this is
contingent on the state of the COVID-19 pandemic and other circumstances –
details will be confirmed nearer the time. Remote participation options
will be available; please contact the chairs if you intend to submit work
but know in advance that you will not be able to present the work in-person
at the workshop.

ANRW’22 particularly encourages the submission of results that could form
the basis for future engineering work in the IETF, by, for example
providing input and analysis on Internet protocols or operational Internet
practices, as well as influence further research and experimentation in the
IRTF.

# Formatting
All submissions must satisfy the following requirements:

* Short papers: up to 6 pages for technical content (including appendices)
+ unlimited pages for references
* Lightning papers: up to 2 pages for an extended abstract (including
appendices) + a maximum of one page for references.
* 10-point font for main text; font used in other places (e.g., figures)
should be no smaller than 9 point
* Two-column format, with the size of each column being at most 3.33 x 9.25
inches and the space between columns being at least 0.33 inches letter page
size (8.5 x 11 inches)
* Include names and affiliations of all authors on the title page (no
anonymization).
* We strongly encourage the use of the new ACM LaTeX template, which
satisfies these style requirements provided you specify a 10-point font
size. The following settings should produce this output:
\documentclass[10pt,sigconf,letterpaper]{acmart}

Submissions that do not comply with these requirements will be rejected
without review. It is your responsibility to ensure that your submission
satisfies the above requirements.

# Paper Novelty
An accepted paper that is published must not be based on previously
published work, and cannot describe work that is currently under submission
to another venue. An accepted paper that is published also must not
plagiarize the work of its authors or of any other authors.

The ACM Policy and Procedures on Plagiarism applies to the ANRW, and action
will be taken against submitters who have engaged in such practices.

Papers accompanied by nondisclosure agreement requests will not be
considered for review or publication, nor ever be disclosed.

# Reviews
All submissions will be peer reviewed (single-blind). Reviews will be
shared with the authors.

Authors and TPC members provide conflict-of-interest information. It is
important that all authors of a submission are indicated in the submission
system and that all authors enter any conflicts of interest. Broadly, a
conflict of interest exists when:

* You are currently employed at the same organization, have been previously
employed at the same organization within the last twelve months, or are
going to begin employment at the same organization.
* You have a past or present professional relationship, such as thesis
advisement, collaboration on a project, publication, or grant proposal
within the past two years.
These are examples – use your own good judgment.

# Workshop Chairs
Taejoong "Tijay" Chung ([email-masked])
Marwan Fayed ([email-masked])

Feel free to contact us in case of any questions!
For more information, please visit https://irtf.org/anrw/2022/cfp.html

Taejoong "Tijay" Chung, Assistant Professor
Virginia Tech  |  Computer Science
Knowledge Works II, RM 2228
2202 Kraft Drive, Blacksburg, VA 24060
(540) 231-0667| [email-masked]