Subject: [irtf-discuss] Network Complexity Workshop at the next IETF

From: "Michael Behringer (mbehring)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 11:13:13 +0200

FYI: There will be a workshop on network complexity at the next IETF, 

on Friday, July 29th (all day). (Details on location later)

This is a "BoF" with the goal to create a RG in the IRTF. A (very) draft
charter is attached. 

Please reply unicast to me if you are planning to attend. 

Michael

---

Network Complexity Research Group (COMPLEXITY)

Charter
The Network Complexity Research Group aims at defining and analyzing the
complexity of IP based networks. 

There is a general perception that unnecessary complexity should be
avoided, and when deciding between two approaches in networking,
complexity is usual an important factor. However, the term "complexity"
is rarely well defined, and decisions on complexity are mostly made on
subjective terms. 

The Network Complexity Research Group provides objective definitions,
metrics and background research to help making decisions where
complexity is a factor. The ultimate goal is to provide factual and
objective information and metrics to be used in network design and
protocol design. It is highly desirable to have practical and objective
information on network complexity as an input into the IETF process. 

Areas of interest include: 
1) Research with the goal of defining "network complexity", and defining
relevant metrics. 
2) Comparative research between various network architectures, protocols
or approaches.
3) Methods and ideas to contain, control, or reduce complexity in IP
based networks. 
4) Collect use cases regarding specific network designs or failure cases
where complexity played a role. 

The group will report progress through a publicly accessible web site
and presentations at IETF meetings. Relevant information and research
developed by the NMRG will be submitted for publication as Experimental
or Informational RFCs.

Membership
Membership is open.

Meetings
Complexity meetings are held usually in conjunction with the IETF.