Subject: [irtf-discuss] Complexity BoF at IRTF: Fri morning in Quebec

From: "Michael Behringer (mbehring)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 11:26:23 +0200

As mentioned in a previous mail, we'll have a BOF meeting in Quebec
(IETF) next week with the goal to create an IRTF research group on
network complexity. 

The BoF is scheduled for Friday July 29th, 0900-1130, room 301A. It will
be hosted by Geoff Huston and myself.

We have a draft agenda, where we go through previous work (mostly
documented on the http://networkcomplexity.org), plus a lot of time for
charter discussions. If you have a contribution to the agenda, please
let me know! Draft agenda and charter are copied below. 

Michael

---------------------------------------------------------
Draft Agenda: 
- Overview, agenda bashing (10 min)
- Classifying Network Complexity (Michael Behringer) (20 min)
- End to End Complexity (Geoff Huston) (20 min)
- Comparative Complexity Analysis (Michael Behringer) (10 min)
- Catastrophic Failure Use Case (Michael Behringer) (10 min)
- RG Charter discussion (80 min)

---------------------------------------------------------
Draft Charter: 
Network Complexity Research Group (COMPLEXITY)

Charter
The Network Complexity Research Group aims at defining and analyzing the
complexity of IP based networks. 

There is a general perception that unnecessary complexity should be
avoided, and when deciding between two approaches in networking,
complexity is usual an important factor. However, the term "complexity"
is rarely well defined, and decisions on complexity are mostly made on
subjective terms. 

The Network Complexity Research Group provides objective definitions,
metrics and background research to help making decisions where
complexity is a factor. The ultimate goal is to provide factual and
objective information and metrics to be used in network design and
protocol design. It is highly desirable to have practical and objective
information on network complexity as an input into the IETF process. 

Areas of interest include: 
1) Research with the goal of defining "network complexity", and defining
relevant metrics. 
2) Comparative research between various network architectures, protocols
or approaches.
3) Methods and ideas to contain, control, or reduce complexity in IP
based networks. 
4) Collect use cases regarding specific network designs or failure cases
where complexity played a role. 

The group will report progress through a publicly accessible web site
and presentations at IETF meetings. Relevant information and research
developed by the NMRG will be submitted for publication as Experimental
or Informational RFCs.

Membership
Membership is open.

Meetings
Complexity meetings are held usually in conjunction with the IETF.

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 09:27:11 -0400

Quick clarification: This is not a "BOF", since in the IRTF, we have no BOFs, and the goal here is not to create an IETF WG but an IRTF RG.

Apart from that, I encourage everyone interested to attend this side meeting!

Lars