Subject: [irtf-discuss] Next version of Proposed Charter for the Network Complexity RG

From: "Michael Behringer (mbehring)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 16:14:38 +0200

To follow up on the meeting in Quebec
(http://networkcomplexity.org/wiki/index.php?title=81st_IETF_Side_Meetin
g#Minutes_from_the_Meeting), one job was to finalise the charter for the
to-be-created complexity RG. 

Please find below a new draft, taking into consideration the input I got
so far. Any suggestions for improvements: Let me know!

Thanks!
Michael

--
Network Complexity Research Group (COMPLEXITY)

Charter
The Network Complexity Research Group aims at defining and analyzing the
complexity of IP based networks. 

Complexity has been researched from a number of different angles, for
example software complexity, or graph complexity. There is however no
good, objective understanding of the complexity of a real IP network,
including its operational aspects. When two competing approaches (e.g.,
protocols, network architectures) are discussed there is generally no
measurable metric for complexity. 

There is a general perception that unnecessary complexity should be
avoided, and when deciding between two approaches in networking,
complexity is usual an important factor. However, the term "complexity"
is rarely well defined, and decisions on complexity are mostly made on
subjective terms. 

It would be highly desirable to have such metrics for network complexity
to objectively compare IP networking approaches. The goal of this
research group is to gain a better understanding of the underlying
metrics of network complexity.

The Network Complexity Research Group provides objective definitions,
metrics and background research to help making decisions where
complexity is a factor. The ultimate goal is to provide factual and
objective information and metrics to be used in network design and
protocol design. It is highly desirable to have practical and objective
information on network complexity as an input into the IETF process. 

Areas of interest include: 
1) Research with the goal of defining "network complexity", and defining
relevant metrics. 
2) Comparative research between various network architectures, protocols
or approaches.
3) Methods and ideas to contain, control, or reduce complexity in IP
based networks. 
4) Collect use cases regarding specific network designs or failure cases
where complexity played a role. 

The group will report progress through http://networkcomplexity.org/ and
presentations at IETF and IRTF meetings. Relevant information and
research developed by the research group will be submitted for
publication as Experimental or Informational RFCs.

Membership
Membership is open.

Meetings
Complexity RG meetings are held at least once a year in conjunction with
the IETF. Another yearly meeting should be held in conjunction with an
academic conference.