Subject: Re: [irtf-discuss] [Diversity] Bridging the Gap between Internet Standardization and Networking Research

From: Aaron Yi DING <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 16:54:11 +0200

On 10/03/14 20:35, Stephen Farrell wrote:

I think the parts of the CCR article I'd question are the assertions
that providing free consulting is objectionable (don't recall if that
was in CCR or just Joe's mail) and that the Internet is no longer a
research topic.

The CCR paper does not mention these points.
http://www.sigcomm.org/sites/default/files/ccr/papers/2014/January/2567561-2567572.pdf

IMO, ANRP prize is definitely doing the right thing.

Thanks,
Aaron

"

On the former: maybe I'm a hopeless idealist but educating people
from companies or anywhere is something that senior academics (and
that's me off the hook:-) should be doing even if not paid, but its
quite understandable that different folks have different thresholds
for what's acceptable there.

On the latter, I think we could do some work to reduce the correctly
described perception that the Internet is not a research topic, if
we academics did some more (but not exclusively) realistic research,
e.g., if we no longer accepted "my non-reproducible ns-2 thing is
better than yours" as justifying a publication that might help push
researchers to work more with the real Internet and might eventually
leak over into funders brains. (There are some folks doing that kind
of good work and e.g. the ANRP prizes are encouraging that I hope.)

S.

"

-----------
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~ad707/