Subject: [irtf-discuss] Secure Elements in the cloud...

From: Pascal Urien <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 10:26:00 +0200

Dear All

During the IRTF open meeting, (IETF 90, Tuesday 22 july), i would like to
introduce the idea of trust for internet applications and internet users,
based on secure elements hosted in the cloud

This concept is illustrated by the draft
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-urien-cfrg-cose-00.

The main idea is to deploy over the internet secure elements, hosted by
Trusted Secure Element Servers (TSES), which could be used and managed by
human or software entities. This functional granularity is a key feature
for the proposed paradigm called CoSE (Cloud of Secure Elements).

 The CoSE is a kind of WEB for secure elements, able to deliver secure
storage or cryptographic services. Secure element are identified by a
server (TSES) name, a port and a unique identifier (SEID, the secure
element identifier), i.e Server:Port/SEID

 To be practical we work today with ISO7816 tamper resistant chips, which
are manufactured per billions and used for payments, access control and
various cryptographic purposes. These chips generally include a Java
Virtual Machine (JVM) and therefore can run various applications.
Furthermore open standards are available to manage their contents.

A first protocol named RACS see
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-urien-core-racs-03 is under definition and
is already tested by several implementations, which are online and can be
demonstrated

The URI associated to a secure element hosted is the cloud is consequently
RACS://Server:Port/SEID

 It should be great to share this vision with people caring with internet
trust for both users and applications.
What about a working group ?
Regards
Pascal Urien