Subject: [irtf-discuss] Final call for Nominations: 2016 Applied Networking Research Prize (ANRP)

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 14:33:15 +0900

CALL FOR NOMINATIONS:

        APPLIED NETWORKING RESEARCH PRIZE (ANRP) 2016

                   http://irtf.org/anrp

********************************************************************
***     Submit nominations for the 2016 award period of the      ***
***  Applied Networking Research Prize until November 6, 2015!   ***
***                                                              ***
***    (Please share this announcement with your colleagues.)    ***
********************************************************************

The Applied Networking Research Prize (ANRP) is awarded for recent
results in applied networking research that are relevant for
transitioning into shipping Internet products and related
standardization efforts. Researchers with relevant, recent results
are encouraged to apply for this prize, which will offer them the
opportunity to present and discuss their work with the engineers,
network operators, policy makers and scientists that participate in
the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) and its research arm, the
Internet Research Task Force (IRTF). Third-party nominations for this
prize are also encouraged. The goal of the Applied Networking
Research Prize is to recognize the best new ideas in networking, and
bring them to the IETF and IRTF especially in cases where they would
not otherwise see much exposure or discussion.

The Applied Networking Research Prize (ANRP) consists of:

• cash prize of $500 (USD)
• invited talk at the IRTF Open Meeting
• travel grant to attend a week-long IETF meeting (airfare, hotel,
registration, stipend)
• recognition at the IETF plenary
• invitation to related social activities
• potential for additional travel grants to future IETF meetings,
based on community feedback

The Applied Networking Research Prize will be awarded once per
calendar year. Each year, several winners will be chosen and invited
to present their work at one of the three IETF meetings during the
year.

HOW TO NOMINATE

Only a single person can be nominated for the award. The basis of the
nomination is a peer-reviewed, original journal, conference or
workshop paper they authored, which was recently published or
accepted for publication. The nominee must be one of the main authors
of the nominated paper. Both self nominations (nominating one’s own
paper) and third-party nominations (nominating someone else’s paper)
are encouraged.

The nominated paper should provide a scientific foundation for
possible future IETF engineering work or IRTF research and
experimentation, analyze the behavior of Internet protocols in
operational deployments or realistic testbeds, make an important
contribution to the understanding of Internet scalability,
performance, reliability, security or capability, or otherwise be of
relevance to ongoing or future IETF or IRTF activities.

Applicants must briefly describe how the nominated paper relates to
these goals, and are encouraged to describe how a presentation of
these research results would foster their transition into new IETF
engineering or IRTF experimentation, or otherwise seed new activities
that will have an impact on the real-world Internet.

The goal of the Applied Networking Research Prize (ANRP) is to foster
the transitioning of research results into real-world benefits for
the Internet. Therefore, applicants must indicate that they (or the
nominee, in case of third-party nominations) are available to attend
at least one of the year’s IETF meetings in person and in its
entirety.

Nominations must include:

• the name and email address of the nominee
• a bibliographic reference to the published (or accepted)
nominated paper
• a PDF copy of the nominated paper
• a statement that describes how the nominated paper fulfills the
goals of the award
• a statement about which of the year’s IETF meetings the nominee
would be available to attend in person and in its entirety
• a brief biography or CV of the nominee
• optionally, any other supporting information (link to nominee’s
web site, etc.)

Nominations are submitted via the submission site at
http://irtf.org/anrp/2016/. In exceptional cases, nominations may
also be submitted by email to [email-masked].

IMPORTANT DATES

Applications close: November 6, 2015 (hard)
Notifications:      December 1, 2015

SPONSORS

The Applied Networking Research Prize (ANRP) is supported by the
Internet Society (ISOC), as part of its Internet Research Award
Programme, in coordination with the Internet Research Task Force
(IRTF).

HELP PUBLICIZE THE ANRP

If you would like to help publicize the ANRP within your
organization, you are welcome to print and use the flyer at
http://irtf.org/anrp-2016-flyer.pdf