Subject: [irtf-discuss] IRTF Chair News for IETF 103 and beyond - a lot of news, read to the end

From: Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 17:53:43 -0400

Hi, all,

We have a lot of IRTF activity in Bangkok.  All the groups are meeting,
including the regular day-long interims for Thing2Thing RG and
Information-Centric RG on the previous weekend.  You can find all the
established groups and links to their datatracker info on https://irtf.org.

0. ANRP nominations are open - the deadline is November 11.  Get your
awesome papers published in the last two years in for review for this
excellent prize and travel program. The info for submission is at
https://irtf.org/anrp

0a. The ANRW for 2019 is getting started on its work with excellent
co-chairs, Jana Iyenger, of Fastly, and Philippa Gill, of U. Mass,
Amherst.  The Call for Papers will be out soon - watch the space on
https://irtf.org/ for news

1. First official RG meeting for the Privacy Enhancements and Assessments
Proposed RG (PEARG) will take place.  Check out its revised charter and
info about mailing list and so forth on the datatracker, if you have an
interest in privacy enhancing technology research and its applications.
Much good agenda is in the plans.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/rg/pearg/about/

2. Distributed Internet Infrastructure RG (DINRG) has been promoted to full
RG.  They will meet in Bangkok and they too are developing a great agenda:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/rg/dinrg/about/

3. Quantum Internet Proposed RG (QIRG) has not yet had a charter review,
but it will be meeting for a first Proposed RG meeting in Bangkok.  The
best place to take a look at the charter and agenda is on the mailing list:

[email-masked]
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/qirg

4. Two groups are having organizing  or side meetings to work on charters
and potential status as Proposed RGS.  You can find out what they're
thinking about and where/when they are meeting in the links below:

Computing in the Network (COIN)
https://trac.ietf.org/trac/irtf/wiki/coin

And:

Stopping Malware and Researching Threats (SMART)

This is intended to be a Proposed Research Group once it settles on a
charter, and it will move the mailing list to irtf.org

Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/smart/

To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/smart

5. There's a ton of energy in the IRTF, and at least one more group is
trying to form.  I encourage you to watch irtf-discuss (and my apologies
for the belated update here), and to check the links for preparing your
thoughts for lively discussions next week.

6. Finally, I feel the energy is really high, and all this enthusiasm is a
great thing.  Having reached such a positive state of being, and without
other reasons than finding myself too stretched by all this growth for my
personal energy in the moment, I'm planning to not re-up after this term.
I should mention my thanks to my employer, Salesforce, which has been
nothing but positive and encouraging about this role.  I'm not stepping
done under any external requirements.

The IAB has started to recruit nominations and self-nominations for a new
IRTF Chair and you should consider this role if you like tons of new things
happening all the time, lots of opportunities to support others in their
intellectual goals, and the broad range of ways that research should be
applied to networking and security.

Please contact me if you want to hear more about the IRTF Chairship or
other matters.  See many of you soon,

Allison