Subject: [irtf-discuss] CFP: Virtual HotRFC lightning talks for IETF-112

From: "Aaron Falk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 12:36:49 -0400

*Do you have an idea, problem space, or proposal that IETFers should 
hear about?*
*Do you want to propose IETF or IRTF work but aren’t sure if your idea 
is ready or who will be interested?*

Agenda requests are now being accepted for the Request for Conversation 
(HotRFC) lightning talk session. Presenters will submit a 4 minute video 
to make their case for collaboration. Interested folks can continue the 
discussion online. Goals include encouraging brainstorming 
conversations, helping new work proposals find collaborators, raising 
awareness of relevant work going on elsewhere, and promoting BarBoFs.  
Past HotRFC topics covered a broad range of topics:

**Collaboration:**  proposals for new standards work or new research 
topics that haven't been discussed elsewhere, potentially relevant 
research that may be ready for the IETF
**Notification:** new topics on the agenda in a working group or 
research group, cross-area IETF work
**Enlightenment:** updates on relevant technologies, industry advances 
that could affect IETF participants.

With strict time limits, concise talks will give viewers a sense of 
whether they’d like to know more and, importantly, coordinates on how 
to do so.

We’re going to try to preserve the value of this session while 
adapting it to a fully online meeting and leveraging the virtual-world 
capabilities of [Gather](https://www.ietf.org/how/meetings/gather/).  
Keep in mind this is an experiment and feedback is welcome to improve it 
should we be in this situation again.  With that as prologue, here is 
how we’ll do it this time:

* To request a slot, submit a short abstract to [email-masked] no later 
than October 29, 2400 UTC that includes the following
  * Talk title
  * Presenter, Affiliation
  * Short topic abstract (topics should be IETF-related in some way)
  * Coordinates to learn more, contact those involved, &/or relevant 
formal or side meetings
* All talks will be presented via pre-recorded video
  * To submit a talk, send a link to a YouTube video to [email-masked] 
no later than November 4th, 1800 UTC.
  * VIDEO MUST BE NO MORE THAN 4 MINUTES IN LENGTH (longer videos will 
be rejected)
  * Some tips for prerecording talks are noted 
[here](https://chairs.ietf.org/en/presentations).
* On November 5th at TIME_TBD, during the virtual IETF Welcome 
Reception, HotRFC presentations will be viewable in the IETF’s Gather 
community at a collection of virtual kiosks.  At each kiosk:
   * Videos will be on display for viewing
   * Presenters will be asked to be available for Q&A in an adjacent 
collaboration area
   * The chat space will features a whiteboard for posting questions or 
sharing logistics for further discussion or collaboration
   * Use of the Gather space for discussion is totally optional but it 
is recommended that minimally each talk have a note posted redirecting 
interested folks as to where they should go to get more involved
* We will also share the videos via an IETF-112 HotRFC YouTube playlist 
on the [IETF YouTube channel](https://www.youtube.com/user/ietf) for 
later viewing within a day or so.

I’ll send a note to the IETF, irtf-discuss, & 112attendees lists when 
the abstracts are ready.  They’ll also be posted in the online meeting 
agenda.

I hope you’ll tune in.

--aaron