Subject: Re: [irtf-discuss] [Internet Policy] You may find my most recent op ed on geopolitics and the Internet for The Hill newspaper interesting

From: willi uebelherr <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 01:46:15 -0300

Geopolitics and the internet
Roger J. Cochetti, 19.03.2022
https://thehill.com/opinion/technology/598882-geopolitics-and-the-internet

Dear Roger,

I have expanded the CC address space to include IRTF and IETF because I 
think it is important for them, at least for IRTF.

Your focus is on private actors realizing their interests through 
government actors. In contrast, the focus is on the people who live in 
their communities, which are spread all over our planet.

You talk about nations in your text, but you really mean state constructs.

I know that in the regions that call themselves the "West" the 
communities no longer have any significance. Historically it was 
different and corresponded to reality: people live in communities and 
not in administrative or ruling structures.

So if we want to talk about an Internet that is for "everyone", or "from 
the people, for the people", we need a different focus.

In your text I don't find any approach for a positive perspective. Don't 
you see one? Or don't you want one?

"Although it's a little daunting to explore long term Internet 
geopolitical trends ..."

No, it is not "daunting", it is necessary. No matter what the situation. 
A peaceful planet can only be created by connecting people and making 
them independent from private or governmental connections.

with kind regards, willi
Asuncion, Paraguay

original in german --------------------------------------------------

Lieber Roger,

ich habe den CC-Adressraum um IRTF und IETF erweitert, weil ich denke, 
dass es fuer sie, zumindest fuer IRTF, wichtig ist.

Dein Fokus richtet sich auf private Akteure, die ihre Interessen ueber 
die staatlichen Akteure realisieren. Dem gegenueber steht der Fokus auf 
die Menschen, die in ihren Gemeinden leben, die ueberall auf unserem 
Planeten verteilt sind.

Du sprichst in deinem Text von Nationen, meinst aber tatsaechlich die 
Staatskonstrukte.

Ich weiss, dass wir in den Regionen, die sich als der "Westen" 
bezeichnen, die Gemeinden keine Bedeutung mehr haben. Historisch war das 
anders und entsprach der Wirklichkeit: Die Menschen leben in Gemeinden 
und nicht in Verwaltungs- oder Herrschafts-Strukturen.

Wenn wir also von einem Internet sprechen wollen, das fuer "everyone" 
sein soll, oder "from the people, for the people", dann brauchen wir 
einen anderen Fokus.

In deinem Text finde ich keinen Ansatz fuer eine positive Perspektive. 
Siehst du keine? Oder willst du keine?

"Although it’s a little daunting to explore long term Internet 
geopolitical trends .."

Nein, es ist nicht "daunting", es ist notwendig. Egal, in welcher 
Situation auch immer. Ein friedlicher Planet kann nur dadurch entstehen, 
dass die Menschen sich verbinden und sie unabhaengig werden von privaten 
oder staatlichen Verbindungen.

mit lieben gruessen, willi
Asuncion, Paraguay

Am 21.03.2022 um 09:47 schrieb R C via InternetPolicy:
> Although it’s a little daunting to explore long term Internet geopolitical
> trends in the midst of a violent military conflict, it is nonetheless very
> important to understand the larger Internet geopolitical environment.
> (Please note that for anyone who has devoted their life to this topic, this
> is only an op Ed, limited to a few hundred words and relevant to readers
> generally interested in American politics.)
> 
> Roger Cochetti