Subject: [Isis-wg] Questions about "restart signaling for ISIS"

From: May Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 15:26:47 -0500

Hi Mike,

I have some questions about draft-ietf-isis-restart-01.txt (May 2002)
version. 

1. Can the restarting router changes its extended local circuit id during
restart?
The extended local circuit id is included in the "Point-to-Point Adjacency
State" TLV. If the restarting router sends an IIH with RR bit set but with a
different circuit id, should the receiving routers drop the IIH or accept
the IIH and update the adjacency information to store the new neighbor
extended circuit id?

2. Based on the draft, on LAN circuit, the receiving router with the highest
LnRouterPriority (with highest source MAC address breaking ties) among those
routers supporting the graceful restart, initiate the CSNPs/LSPs
transmission when a restarting router asks for help. If the receiving router
with highest priority goes offline when an IIH with RR bit set arrives,
should another router initiates the CSNPs/LSPs transmission or the
restarting router gets t1 expiry on this interface and fails the graceful
restart?

Thanks,
Xiaomei

----------------------------------------- (on rchss001)

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are the property
of Chiaro Networks, Ltd., and may contain confidential and 
privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)
to whom this e-mail is addressed. If you are not one of the named
recipient(s), or otherwise have reason to believe that you have 
received this message in error, please notify the sender and 
delete all copies from your system.  Any other use, retention, 
dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is 
strictly prohibited.

---------------------------------------------------------

---

From: mike shand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 10:55:03 +0100

>the IIH and update the adjacency information to store the new neighbor

Accept it. See 4.2 b)
which says
..... having updated the "point-to-point Advacency State" option to reflect 
any new values received from the re-starting router

>restarting router gets t1 expiry on this interface and fails the graceful

Hmmm. I'm not quite sure what you mean here. At the time the RR is 
received, the highest priority router responds. Are you suggesting that the 
other routers should monitor what it does, and if it doesn't respond they 
should assume it is dead and the NEXT highest router should take over?

That sounds overly complex. If there is no response from the highest 
priority router, then things are probably broken anyway. I don't think 
there is any need to handle this as a special case.

>dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg