Subject: [Isis-wg] Paper comparing OSPF and ISIS

From: "Manral, Vishwas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 06:58:56 -0400

Hi folks,

The topic of differences between OSPF and ISIS has been raised more than
once. The topic has been covered in a few presentations before as well as a
lot of internal documents. It would however be helpful to "compare both
specs and put down the differences and pros and cons of the differences" for
the benefit of people.

I intend to make a group of people who would be interested in the effort. So
anyone willing to help can mail me and I will add them to the group, from
where we can take this further on.

I do have a preliminary list of things to start off.

Thanks,
Vishwas

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

---

From: Tony Przygienda <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 07:22:35 -0700

>I do have a preliminary list of things to start off.
Manral, please do not use this list for this purpose if you choose to 
pursuit it. It is outside the scope
of this workgroup for sure and on top, I am not entirely sure anything 
really new comes out of it.
Dave K.'s presentation pretty well covered the issues IMHO.

    -- tony przygienda

---

From: Dave Katz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 11:34:45 -0700 (PDT)

I suspect this won't be the only request I get, so please excuse the spam:

http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0006/katz.html

--Dave

   Could you send me pointer to your presentation comaparing OSPF and ISIS.
_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

---

From: Naiming Shen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 12:15:04 -0700

Once Russ told me he was going to write a book on this subject:
"The differences between OSPF and ISIS", and he said there were only
three sentences in that book. Here is the electronic version of that
interesting book if I remember it correctly:

  ISIS is simple.

  OSPF is complicated.

  Otherwise they are the same.

thanks.
(hopefully i didn't violate his publisher's copyright issues)

 ] It is outside the scope
 ] of this workgroup for sure and on top, I am not entirely sure anything 
 ] really new comes out of it.
 ] Dave K.'s presentation pretty well covered the issues IMHO.
 ] 
 ]     -- tony przygienda

- Naiming

---

From: Tony Przygienda <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 12:44:13 -0700

>  Otherwise they are the same.
so, as you see, it's already starting :-(  

    sigh

    -- tony