Subject: [Isis-wg] RE: ISIS MIB: Circuit & Level Table

From: Jeff Parker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 18:57:29 -0400

> Jeff -
> 
> I am little bit concerned about Granularity of Hello Timer 
> and LSPThrottle timer. Why the reason it is in 
> "milliseconds"?, why it can't be in seconds?..

Replying to the group list.

The Hello timer used to be in seconds, but there was interest 
in working on "fast hellos" to allow faster detection of link 
failure.  While 1/1000 of a second is too small, milliseconds
are a common unit of measure.  

It has been common to send multiple LSPs per second for some
time.  Of course, other units of measure are possible.  

> Even if it is in milliseconds, i feel 1000 is the MINIMUM 
> reasonable value instead of 10. This not only affect the 
> protocol, but complicates the implementation.
> 
> Swami

Your implementation can enforce a range of > 1000 for hellos, 
or > 3000 if you like.  Does this really complicate your
implementation?  

- jeff parker
_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg