Subject: [Isis-wg] New Version of draft-ietf-isis-restart

From: Les Ginsberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 09:22:17 -0800

Folks -

Mike Shand and I have submitted V3 of draft-ietf-isis-restart (V2 was 
withdrawn from last call at our request). Since we submitted it close to 
the deadline, it may take a while for the official announcement to appear.

In addition to making some clarifications based on review comments from the 
list, the new version includes the following changes:

1)We now make explicit that the LANID must be ignored in IIHs having the RR 
bit set. This is something that implementation experience shows is 
necessary. As it affects the bits on the wire (what is sent as LANID by 
neighbors of the restarting router) it seemed necessary to explicitly state 
this in the draft.

2)New functionality in the case of a starting (NOT restarting) router is 
defined to prevent the potential occurrence of transient blackholes due to 
the presence in the network of LSP fragments from a previous incarnation of 
the starting router.

3)The text in the draft has been restructured to more clearly show the 
commonalities and differences in behavior between the restarting and 
starting cases.

Finally, and MOST IMPORTANT, implementations based on the old version(V2) 
of the draft will interoperate with versions based on the new draft, though 
of course the new functionality will not be supported.

Cheers.

     Les

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg