Subject: RE: [Isis-wg] RE: draft-ietf-isis-wg-mib-12.txt

From: "Ferrell, William" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 12:17:28 -0400

SNMPv1 by itself is not a secure environment.  Even if the network
   itself is secure (for example by using IPSec), even then, there is no
   control as to who on the secure network is allowed to access and
   GET/SET (read/change/create/delete) the objects in this MIB.

   It is recommended that the implementers consider the security
   features as provided by the SNMPv3 framework.  Specifically, the use
   of the User-based Security Model RFC 2574 [RFC2574] and the View-
   based Access Control Model RFC 2575 [RFC2575] is recommended.

While I agree with you here Jeff, SNMP v1 is vulnerable, We've found that
SNMP v3 is having many implementation issues accross managment platform .
Like HPOV and espeacally EnterPol.
I guess that where Im goiing is that maybe we could dig a bit deeprer and
offer a real solution for secure manage

ment
_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg