Subject: [Isis-wg] IS-IS MIB and multiple protocol instances.

From: Christian Hopps <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 20:05:22 -0700

The current IS-IS MIB supports multiple protocol instances on a router 
by adding an index to every table in the MIB. This seems messy to me. 
The OSPF MIB deals with multiple instances by using a feature of SNMPv3 
(contexts). This seems like a very nice solution to me.

I think its very important to also consider how many people actually 
use multiple IS-IS protocol instances on a single router when we make 
our decision. I'd prefer to not complicate the MIB as it currently is 
if we don't have to. Given that many more people use multiple OSPF 
instances I suspect this will put pressure on the context solution 
being deployed and thus quite usable for us.

In any case I don't want to spend a large amount of time on this issue. 
It is my hope that we can get the MIB to last call by or before the 
next IETF meeting.

Chris.

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg