Subject: [Isis-wg] Jumbo frame domains

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 18:58:20 -0400

Assume you have an IS-IS domain in which everything supports 9K byte
jumbo frames. Is there any way to make use of this capability in IS-IS
control traffic such as LSPs? Seems to me that the LSAP encoding of
IS-IS frames limits them to the classic Ethernet payload maximum
because, if you try to set the frame size larger than that, it would
be parsed as an Ethertype.

Thanks,
Donald
=============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-634-2066 (home)
 155 Beaver Street
 Milford, MA 01757 USA
 [email-masked]

---

From: Tony Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 16:58:12 -0700

> be parsed as an Ethertype.

Not with current implementations.  Yes, you're correct, you can't go 
past 1500 bytes without running into encapsulation demux issues.

We've explored this in the past and the IEEE rejected all attempts do 
standardize jumbo frames.  And the IETF didn't standardize them as that 
would step on IEEE's toes.

Tony

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 21:07:25 -0400

OK. I wasn't pushing for this, just wanted to be sure I understood the
situation.

Thanks,
Donald

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 7:58 PM, Tony Li <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Not with current implementations.  Yes, you're correct, you can't go past
> 1500 bytes without running into encapsulation demux issues.
>
--