Subject: Re: [Isis-wg] RFC 5306 on Restart Signaling for IS-IS

From: Sumanta Seal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 15:15:29 +0530 (IST)

Hi all,

The new RFC 5306 obsoletes the existing one for ISIS GR
(3847). But this new RFC does not includes any update or modification
or correction over the existing one. I am wondering why this new RFC
was introduced obsoleting the old one. Can anybody please let me know
the reason behind it.

Thanks,
Sumanta

      Bollywood news, movie reviews, film trailers and more! Go to http://in.movies.yahoo.com/

---

From: mike shand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 11:21:36 +0100

It is purely procedural. The old one was "informational", whereas the 
new one is "standards track". Since the IS-IS protocol is technically 
"owned" by ISO, any IETF work on IS-IS could only be informational. 
However, following an agreement with ISO, IP related IS-IS work can now 
become standards track. Hence the change of status, which required the 
issuance of a new RFC.

Similar changes have been made to other IS-IS RFCs.

    Mike

Sumanta Seal wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The new RFC 5306 obsoletes the existing one for ISIS GR (3847). But 
> this new RFC does not includes any update or modification or 
> correction over the existing one. I am wondering why this new RFC was 
> introduced obsoleting the old one. Can anybody please let me know the 
> reason behind it.
>
> Thanks,
> Sumanta
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Cricket on your mind? Visit the ultimate cricket website. Enter now! 
> <http://in.rd.yahoo.com/tagline_cricket_1/*http://beta.cricket.yahoo.com>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Isis-wg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg
>