Subject: [Isis-wg] Nits in draft-shen-isis-oper-enhance-00.txt

From: "Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 22:45:44 -0700

(As the subject says - all nits)

Section 1.2 second sentence:

s/ through cumbersome/ though cumbersome

Section 2 second paragraph

s/ the IS to IS Hello (IIH) message used/ the IS to IS Hello (IIH)
message is used

Section 3.1 first sentence

"A further simplification is to allow any system to temporarily become
   the DIS, when it is directed to, and set a non-zero metric in the
   pseudonode."

Could this be rewritten as:

"An alternative is to allow any system to temporarily become
   the DIS, when it is directed to, and set a non-zero metric in the
   pseudonode LSP(s)."

I am not convinced this is really "simpler" than the solution in Section
3. Whether changing the priority and then setting metrics is simpler
then knowing who the DIS is and setting metrics is arguable - and
certainly changing the DIS as well as changing metrics is more
disruptive to the network (more LSP churn). Rather than debate this, the
revised text describes this as an alternative w/o passing judgment.

Also note I added "LSP(s)" to the end of the sentence - which I believe
was intended.

   Les

---

From: Naiming Shen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 23:12:41 -0700

Les,

thanks for the comments.

> revised text describes this as an alternative w/o passing judgment.

I think the "simpler" is meant to be in operational convenience, or an
implementation can even combine these two steps into one knob.
But there is one particular case makes this approach quite simple is that,
if this node is the only "last resort" node on the LAN, and if we make this
node itself as the highest priority to be DIS, then we don't need to worry about
the DIS change scenario in the second paragraph of section 3.1. Since
DIS change means this last resort node is gone from the LAN, and
there will be no 'last-resort' node to point to in the 'future' DIS.

Although your text loses a little bit of the meaning above mentioned, but
it works too. Other changes look good to me.

Cheers,
- Naiming

> _______________________________________________
> Isis-wg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg