Subject: [Isis-wg] FYI - IEEE 802.1aq 1st IS-IS SPB Interop completed - some slides posted on IEEE website

From: Peter Ashwood-Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 00:37:34 -0400

We had fun plugging a few real shortest path enabled bridges together this
past week in Ottawa. Also included was a large network emulator. We managed
to get most of the SPBM functionality tested between two vendors with very
few issues. This included the IS-IS control plane (to 37 nodes), 802.1ah
data plane (ASIC and NPU based) x 2 ECT paths, and 802.1ag management plane
(L2 pings only).

We captured some lab pictures, network topology, LSP dumps, FIBs etc. and
they are available here:

http://ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2010/aq-ashwood-interop1-1110.pdf

I won't be in Beijing but Sue Hares and Paul Unbehagan have generously
offered to talk about it briefly at the is-is wg meeting and we'll also
present a very brief overview next week in Dallas at the IEEE 802.1 meeting
in parallel.

Note that this test was based on an earlier L2 pre-split draft (so not the
most recent one) but it none the less demonstrates (using slightly different
TLV formats) most of the main moving parts.

Please let me know if you have any questions. We will put together another
round of testing to be based on the latest draft probably to take place in
Ottawa some time in late December or early in the new year. More emulators
and real or partial implementations are of course welcome to participate.  

Cheers,

Peter