Subject: [Isis-wg] I-D Action:draft-ietf-isis-layer2-10.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 00:45:02 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IS-IS for IP Internets Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Extensions to IS-IS for Layer-2 Systems
	Author(s)       : A. Banerjee, D. Ward
	Filename        : draft-ietf-isis-layer2-10.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2011-01-27

This document specifies the Intermediate System to Intermediate
System (IS-IS) extensions necessary to support link state routing for
any protocols running directly over Layer-2.  While supporting this
concept involves several pieces, this document only describes
extensions to IS-IS.  Furthermore, the Type, Length, Value pairs
(TLVs) described in this document are generic Layer-2 additions and
specific ones as needed are defined in the IS-IS technology specific
extensions.  We leave it to the systems using these IS-IS extensions
to explain how the information carried in IS-IS is used.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-isis-layer2-10.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: mike shand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 11:40:46 +0000

Just a couple of nits.

1.  Overview

para 2

In this document we specify a set of TLVs to
    be added to [IS-IS] level 1 PDUs,

Not sure it should say "level1 PDUs" since MT-PORT-CAP can be carried in 
a pt-pt-hello (can it?) which is neither L1 nor L2.
Also, it is possible in future there may be a requirement to carry these 
TLVs in L2 LSPs?

Specifying level 1 at this point doesn't really add anything anyway.

2.1.  Multi Topology aware Port Capability TLV
last para

    The MT-PORT-CAP TLV may occur multiple times, and is carried only
    within a IS-IS Hello (IIH) PDU.

I may be confused about this, but I THINK this can be carried  in a 
TRILL Hello. The TRILL-IS-IS spec is not crystal clear as to when it is 
talking about IIHs in general or TRILL IIHs in particular. Nevertheless, 
the word "only" here perhaps implies some restriction to non-TRILL IIHs, 
which I don't think is intended.

     Mike

On 27/01/2011 08:45, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> I-D-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
> Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
> or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: Ayan Banerjee <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 00:14:56 -0800

Mike,

Thanks much for your feedback. I agree to your observations and will make
appropriate modifications.

Thanks,
Ayan

On 1/27/11 3:40 AM, "mike shand" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Isis-wg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg