Subject: [Isis-wg] Protocol Action: 'Extensions to IS-IS for Layer-2 Systems' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-isis-layer2-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 09:08:22 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Extensions to IS-IS for Layer-2 Systems'
  (draft-ietf-isis-layer2-10.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IS-IS for IP Internets Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stewart Bryant and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-isis-layer2/

Technical Summary

This document specifies the IS-IS extensions necessary to support
link state routing to any protocols running directly over layer 2.
While supporting this concept involves several pieces, this document
only describes extensions to IS-IS. Furthermore, the TLVs described
in this document are generic layer 2 additions and specific ones as
needed are defined in the IS-IS technology specific extensions.

Working Group Summary

Issues arose as this document, draft-ietf-isis-trill and draft-ietf-isis-ieee-aq 
were originally one document. It was felt during review that 
draft-ietf-isis-trill and draft-ietf-isis-ieee-aq were sufficiently
different that there needed to be a "base" document (this one) 
and two separate technology documents. The opinion of the ISIS 
WG it is unfortunate that there could not be one solution for 
layer2 routing in ISIS but, this decision was not within the remit 
of the ISIS WG.

Document Quality

There are multiple, interoperable implementations. 

Personnel

David Ward is the Document Shepherd for this document.
Stewart Bryant is the  Responsible Area Director.