Subject: [Isis-wg] Protocol Action: 'Advertising Generic Information in IS-IS' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-isis-genapp-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 12:06:55 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Advertising Generic Information in IS-IS'
  (draft-ietf-isis-genapp-04.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IS-IS for IP Internets Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stewart Bryant and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-isis-genapp/

Technical Summary

Increasing use of IS-IS for the flooding of information not directly used
by the primary protocol function has created a need for a generalized
method for incorporating said new information without impacting the primary
IS-IS protocol function. This specification provides this method.

Working Group Summary

There consensus was strong for this specification. Discussions regarding
this specification primarily involved which extensions the specification
would apply to.

Document Quality

There are currently no implementations of this specification. This
specification is required to be in place so that new applications may then
utilize it in their design. 

Personnel

Chris Hopps ([email-masked]) is the Document Shepherd for this document.
Stewart Bryant ([email-masked]) is the Responsible Area Director?  

The Document Shepherd is one of the IANA Experts, thus we can assume the IANA 
review expert review has already taken place. The new registry created needs an expert 
and this should be the same expert as for the other ISIS registries.

RFC Editor Note

Immediately before section 4.1 INSERT the following paragraph

In order for GENINFO TLVs with domain-wide scope originated
by L1 Routers to be flooded across the entire domain, at least one
L1/L2 Router in every area of the domain MUST support the GENINFO TLV.

=====

8.  Security Considerations
OLD
   It is possible that information advertised in a GENINFO TLV by a
   given Application MAY introduce new security issues.  
NEW
   It is possible that information advertised in a GENINFO TLV by a
   given Application may introduce new security issues.
END
(change case MAY to may)