Subject: [Isis-wg] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-lamparter-isis-p2mp-00.txt

From: David Lamparter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 01:43:35 +0200

And Hi again, IS-IS WG list,

attached reference is an "ambitious" -00 draft that adds a
Point-to-Multipoint interface mode to IS-IS.

The IS-IS ISO spec actually has references to PtMP back from X25/CLNS,
but for that it seems CLNS was taking care of presenting the links as
individual PtP links(?)  (I admit I'm guilty of not reading the CLNS
spec.)

This draft basically extends RFC 5309 (p2p-over-lan) to more than one
P2P adjacency.  Alternatively, it can be understood to provide a PtMP
adaptation layer that isn't CLNS.
To do this in a sensible way, the concept of "pseudocircuits" (= the
individual PtP circuits that a PtMP link dissolves into) is introduced
along with a new Hello PDU type.

Our background for this is improving performance on 802.11, where
multicast is sometimes sent at 1 MBit and metrics to other systems vary
wildly.

Since this is a rather tricky change to attempt, I'm very eager to hear
your feedback.  We do have an implementation of this (though we reused
the PtP Hello PDU type - minor cosmetic issue.)

Cheers,

-David

----- Forwarded message from [email-masked] -----

Delivery-date: Tue, 07 Jul 2015 01:11:47 +0200
From: [email-masked]
To: David Lamparter <[email-masked]>, Christian Franke <[email-masked]>, Christian Franke <[email-masked]>, David Lamparter
	<[email-masked]>
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-lamparter-isis-p2mp-00.txt
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 16:11:33 -0700

A new version of I-D, draft-lamparter-isis-p2mp-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by David Lamparter and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-lamparter-isis-p2mp
Revision:	00
Title:		IS-IS Point-to-Multipoint operation
Document date:	2015-07-07
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		10
URL:            https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lamparter-isis-p2mp-00.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-lamparter-isis-p2mp/
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-lamparter-isis-p2mp-00

Abstract:
   This document describes a new mode operation for IS-IS.  In addition
   to the existing LAN and point-to-point modes of operation, a point-
   to-multipoint mode is defined.  This mode is useful for operation
   both on networks with more than two routers where multicast is
   expensive in comparison to unicast, as well on networks where
   creating a LAN pseudonode cannot adequately reflect metrics.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

----- End forwarded message -----