Subject: [Isis-wg] [Errata Held for Document Update] RFC6822 (4521)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 08:37:19 -0800 (PST)

The following errata report has been held for document update 
for RFC6822, "IS-IS Multi-Instance". 

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=6822&eid=4521

--------------------------------------
Status: Held for Document Update
Type: Technical

Reported by: Alexander Okonnikov <[email-masked]>
Date Reported: 2015-11-02
Held by: Alia Atlas (IESG)

Section: 2.6.2

Original Text
-------------
   In order for an MI-RTR to interoperate over a point-to-point 
   circuit with a router that does NOT support this extension, the 
   MI-RTR MUST NOT send IS-IS PDUs for instances other than IID #0 
   over the point-to-point circuit as these PDUs may affect the state 
   of IID #0 in the neighbor.

Corrected Text
--------------
   Note: The procedure below should not be used when MI-RTR is 
   operating in point-to-point mode over broadcast circuit 
   [RFC 5309].

   In order for an MI-RTR to interoperate over a point-to-point 
   circuit with a router that does NOT support this extension, the 
   MI-RTR MUST NOT send IS-IS PDUs for instances other than IID #0 
   over the point-to-point circuit as these PDUs may affect the state 
   of IID #0 in the neighbor.

Notes
-----
In Section 2.6.1, it clearly says \\"If operating in point-to-point mode on a broadcast circuit [RFC5309]\\" which reinforces that Section 2.6.2 is about point-to-point circuits and not broadcast circuits.

However, there isn\\'t any harm in adding a bit of clarity going forward.  This can be looked at if and when RFC 6822 is updated.

--------------------------------------
RFC6822 (draft-ietf-isis-mi-08)
--------------------------------------
Title               : IS-IS Multi-Instance
Publication Date    : December 2012
Author(s)           : S. Previdi, Ed., L. Ginsberg, M. Shand, A. Roy, D. Ward
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : IS-IS for IP Internets
Area                : Routing
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG