Subject: [Isis-wg] Protocol Action: 'IS-IS Traffic Engineering (TE) Metric Extensions' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-isis-te-metric-extensions-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 11:34:45 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'IS-IS Traffic Engineering (TE) Metric Extensions'
  (draft-ietf-isis-te-metric-extensions-11.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IS-IS for IP Internets Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-isis-te-metric-extensions/

Technical Summary

   This document describes extensions to IS-IS Traffic Engineering
   Extensions (RFC5305) such that network performance information can be
   distributed and collected in a scalable fashion.  The information
   distributed using ISIS TE Metric Extensions can then be used to make
   path selection decisions based on network performance.

   Note that this document only covers the mechanisms with which network
   performance information is distributed.  The mechanisms for measuring
   network performance or acting on that information, once distributed,
   are outside the scope of this document.

Working Group Summary

      There has been much discusson as to how these metrics would be 
      collected and how they will be used. These topics were deemed to 
      to be out of scope. 

      There was also concern for potential overhead of collecting
      and flooding these metrics. In response, the draft contains 
      guidance as to how often the measurements should be collected and
      flooded. Additionally, the draft now recommends configuration
      to control measurement usage and the thresholds for advertisement. 

Document Quality

      This document has been a WG document for a more than two years.
      It is stable, without changes to the technical solution for more
      than 12 months. 

Personnel

      Hannes Gredler is the Document Shepherd.
      Alvaro Retana is the Responsible Area Director.