Subject: [Isis-wg] Alissa Cooper's No Objection on draft-ietf-isis-te-metric-extensions-11: (with COMMENT)

From: "Alissa Cooper" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 10:45:18 -0800

Alissa Cooper has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-isis-te-metric-extensions-11: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-isis-te-metric-extensions/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for resolving my DISCUSS points.

Old COMMENT points:

(1) In Section 5:

OLD
Min and max delay MAY be the lowest and/or highest measured value
   over a measurement interval

NEW   
Min and max delay MAY be the lowest and highest measured value
   over a measurement interval, respectively,
   
(2) Section 11 says:

"It is anticipated that in most deployments, IS-IS protocol is used
   within an infrastructure entirely under control of the dame
operator."
   
But Section 1 says:

"The data distributed by the IS-IS TE Metric Extensions proposed in
   this document is meant to be used as part of the operation of the
   routing protocol (e.g. by replacing cost with latency or considering
   bandwidth as well as cost), by enhancing Constrained-SPF (CSPF), or
   for other uses such as supplementing the data used by an ALTO server
   [RFC7285]."

In the ALTO case at least it would seem like the point of using this data
would be to inform applications (outside the control of the operator)
about the cost of routing traffic a certain way. I think this section
could be more clear about the expectation that the performance data it
exposes may be factored into such costs that get published outside the
operator network.