Subject: [Isis-wg] AD review of draft-ietf-isis-node-admin-tag-08

From: Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 14:37:26 -0400

I'd like to thank Pushpasis, Hannes, Shraddha, Stephane, Bruno, Zhenbin,
Ebben, and Rafael for their work on draft-ietf-isis-node-admin-tag-08.

I have done my customary AD review and have basically two substantive
comments.

First, this 14 page document has 9 authors listed.    This needs to be
reduced to no more than 5 and preferably the active and engaged editors who
will see the draft through the process to be an RFC.  If the authors have
difficulty, then I depend upon Chris Hopps (as the WG chair not listed as
an author) to help determine the relevant editor(s).

Because I am an optimist, I will put this into IETF Last Call and on the
IESG telechat for May 5.  If the number of authors issue isn't resolved
before it comes out of IETF Last Call, then I will have to pull the draft
and wait.

Second, the use-cases in this document are very similar to RFC 7777.  I
believe that some at least (e.g. the LFA calculation optimization) are in
fact identical.  Given the many similarities between ISIS and OSPF, that is
not at all surprising.   PLEASE, add at least an informative reference to
RFC 7777 and preferable simply list use-cases with the associated
reference.  Given that the examples are non-normative, I really do not see
any reason for this duplication!

Other than these issues, the document is well thought out, handles the
issues that were raised for RFC 7777 and provides what should be useful
functionality.

PLEASE make these changes so I don't have to stall the document (which has
been waiting long enough due to my backlog).

Thanks,
Alia

---

From: Pushpasis Sarkar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 08:16:32 +0530

Hi Alia,

Thanks a lot for the review. Please find some comments inline.

Best Regards,
-Pushpasis

On 4/16/16 12:07 AM, Alia Atlas wrote:
> I'd like to thank Pushpasis, Hannes, Shraddha, Stephane, Bruno, 
> Zhenbin, Ebben, and Rafael for their work 
> on draft-ietf-isis-node-admin-tag-08.
>
> reduced to no more than 5 and preferably the active and engaged 
> editors who will see the draft through the process to be an RFC.  If 
> the authors have difficulty, then I depend upon Chris Hopps (as the WG 
> chair not listed as an author) to help determine the relevant editor(s).
>
> Because I am an optimist, I will put this into IETF Last Call and on 
> the IESG telechat for May 5.  If the number of authors issue isn't 
> resolved before it comes out of IETF Last Call, then I will have to 
> pull the draft and wait.
[Pushpasis] I will consult with all the co-authors and see if we can 
come up with such a list very soon.
>
> Second, the use-cases in this document are very similar to RFC 7777.  
> I believe that some at least (e.g. the LFA calculation optimization) 
> are in fact identical.  Given the many similarities between ISIS and 
> OSPF, that is not at all surprising.   PLEASE, add at least an 
> informative reference to RFC 7777 and preferable simply list use-cases 
> with the associated reference.  Given that the examples are 
> non-normative, I really do not see any reason for this duplication!
[Pushpasis] Originally this draft was referring to the Applciations 
section in the OSPF dratf (now RFC 7777). At some point we received a 
comment from the group that we should duplicate the same here. So we put 
it here. I will definitely add RFC 7777 as an informative reference in 
the next version.

Thanks once again.

-Pushpasis
> issues that were raised for RFC 7777 and provides what should be 
> useful functionality.
>
> PLEASE make these changes so I don't have to stall the document (which 
> has been waiting long enough due to my backlog).
>
> Thanks,
> Alia