Subject: [Isis-wg] Please send liaison to IEEE from IS-IS

From: Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2017 12:14:44 -0400

Russ & Dan,

Can you take care of formally sending the below as a liaison response?

Thanks,

Alia

===========================================================

Colleagues,

Thank you very much for your liaison on March 25.  We are happy to learn
that IEEE now has a standard, IEEE Std 802.1AC-2016, for encoding LLC
frames and that its use appears to be exactly as described in
draft-ietf-isis-ext-eth-01.  There are a large number of pre-standard
implementations and deployments of this functionality.

With informal discussion, we were able to determine the current owner of
EtherType 88-70 and have what we believe is the necessary statement so that
this EtherType is now available

for this functionality.  I would like to thank both Yaakov Stein, CTO RAD,
for making this happen and David Aviv, CTO Radware.  As these types of
challenges come up and have large impact, we would prefer to learn of them
earlier so that we can try and assist sooner in the process.

We are quite concerned about the allocation of a new EtherType given the
extremely large deployment of this pre-standard common feature.  We would
encourage the IEEE 802.1 Working Group to strongly consider updating IEEE
Std 802.1AC to use the deployed EtherType 88-70 that is now available for
this purpose.

The ISIS Working Group does not currently see that it has additional work
now that IEEE Std 802.1AC-2016 is available.

Warmest regards,

Alia Atlas, IETF Routing Area Director

Chris Hopps, ISIS Working Group Chair

Hannes Gredler, ISIS Working Group Chair

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2017 12:53:48 -0400

I’ll do it later today.

Russ

> On Jun 19, 2017, at 12:14 PM, Alia Atlas <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Russ & Dan,
> 
> 
> 
> Thank you very much for your liaison on March 25.  We are happy to learn that IEEE now has a standard, IEEE Std 802.1AC-2016, for encoding LLC frames and that its use appears to be exactly as described in draft-ietf-isis-ext-eth-01.  There are a large number of pre-standard implementations and deployments of this functionality.
> 
>  
> 
> With informal discussion, we were able to determine the current owner of EtherType 88-70 and have what we believe is the necessary statement so that this EtherType is now available
> 
> for this functionality.  I would like to thank both Yaakov Stein, CTO RAD, for making this happen and David Aviv, CTO Radware.  As these types of challenges come up and have large impact, we would prefer to learn of them earlier so that we can try and assist sooner in the process.   
> 
>  
> 
> We are quite concerned about the allocation of a new EtherType given the extremely large deployment of this pre-standard common feature.  We would encourage the IEEE 802.1 Working Group to strongly consider updating IEEE Std 802.1AC to use the deployed EtherType 88-70 that is now available for this purpose.
> 
>  
> 
> The ISIS Working Group does not currently see that it has additional work now that IEEE Std 802.1AC-2016 is available.
> 
>  
> 
> Warmest regards,
>

---

From: Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2017 13:34:53 -0400

Great, thanks!

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2017 14:12:29 -0400

Done.  See https://datatracker.ietf.org/liaison/1529/

By doing this, I learned that I need to do my own line wrapping in the future.  Sigh.

Russ