Subject: fragmentation of IP encaps'd LSPs ....

From: Antoni Przygienda <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 17:42:23 -0500

After some insightfull discussions with Paul T. & Tony L. I think that
the LSPs encapsed over IP should be allowed to be fragmented despite the
initial result of the workgroup discussion. I think that there was some
misunderstanding as of the fact whether the originatingLXLSPBufferSize
would be still honored or not. My assumption was that it would be
disregarded when running encapsulated mode & the LSPs could grow up to
maximum of the IP datagram size. However, this would cause problems when
running networks with mix of OSI and IP encapsulation, of course.  So I
think
that the following is the best solution:

	x never construct anything larger than bufferSize (that will allow to
		keep the size small if 
		necessary in mixed environments by configuration)
	x if bufferSize larger than dataLinkSize, you are allowed to build LSPs
		up to bufferSize but 
		you SHOULD not fragment

however, the hellos in 10589 today say that you should construct the
MAXIMUM of bufferSize and dataLinkSize. That will fail & we need to say
there that on IP encaps'd interface you only construct up to
dataLinkSize.

any more comments on that one ? 

		thank you

		-- tony