Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-isis-omp-00.txt,.ps

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 11:40:08 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IS-IS for IP Internets Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: IS-IS Optimized Multipath (ISIS-OMP)
	Author(s)	: C. Villamizar, T. Li
	Filename	: draft-ietf-isis-omp-00.txt,.ps
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 13-Jan-99
	
  IS--IS may form multiple equal cost paths between points.  This is
  true of any link state protocol.  In the absence of any explicit sup-
  port to take advantage of this, a path may be chosen arbitrarily.
  Techniques have been utilized to divide traffic somewhat evenly among
  the available paths.  These techniques have been referred to as Equal
  Cost Multipath (ECMP). An unequal division of traffic among the avail-
  able paths is generally preferable.  Routers generally have no knowl-
  edge of traffic loading on distant links and therefore have no basis
  to optimize the allocation of traffic.
 
  Optimized Mulitpath is a extension to IS--IS, utilizing additional
  Type/Length/Value (TLV) tuples to distribute loading information.  An
  algorithm to adjust forwarding, gradually enough to insure stability
  yet provide reasonably fast adjustment when needed, is provided in the
  related document OSPF--OMP [5].  The IS--IS encapsulation and minor
  differences in the dynamics of ISIS--OMP relative to OSPF--OMP are
  described here.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-isis-omp-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-isis-omp-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-isis-omp-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.