Subject: Isis and QoS

From: [email-masked] (Snehal Desai)
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 13:00:21 -0500

I was reading Rick Wilder's report on the future of bandwidth intensive 
applications (http://www.cookreport.com/08.03.shtml) and I came across the 
following:

"ISIS routing protocol is probably the protocol where the most QoS routing work 
is now being done in the IP world at the IETF. ....  The IETF working group 
chaired by Tony Li is doing a lot of work in the area of adding QoS 
differentiation to the routing."

Can anyone suggest where I can follow up on QoS work in IS-IS ??  I did not see 
any QoS drafts at the IS-IS Working Group's web page.  If there is indeed "a lot 
of work" being done "in the area of adding QoS differentiation" in the IS-IS 
world, where can I find it ?? 

Regards,
Snehal

---

From: Henk Smit <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 11:28:49 -0700 (PDT)

ISIS (and OSPF) are used as transport mechanisms to advertise
 bandwitdth reservation information across the network. Traffic
 engineering software will calculate constraint based paths based
 on that information (plus the regular information in ISIS/OSPF which
 nodes and links are available). RSVP (with extensions) is used to
 set up a MPLS path. Then ISIS/OSPF can adjust the routing table
 so that routes point out over the tunnels.

  Get draft-ietf-isis-traffic-00.txt to see how ISIS carries extra
 information in its LSPs. A new version (-01) with some changes will
 be available soon (I hope). I also have written a draft on how
 ISIS/OSPF can map IP routes over tunnels. I hope to publish a
 draft soon on that one too. BTW at least one other vendors use a
 different mechanism to map routes over tunnels.

     Hope this helps,

        Henk.