Subject: Re: VLAN tags?

From: Hannes Gredler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 22:06:25 +0200

> One other thought. What about VLAN tag. Might it be useful when
> a bunch of routers are all connected to the same bridged topology,
> but that bridged topology is actually separated into a bunch
> of VLANs, to specify somewhere which VLAN this particular pseudonode
> is associated with? This would probably be a TLV only in the pseudonode
> LSP.

radia,

in most vendors vlan implementation  a vlan has only switch-local significance
(not 802.1Q) e.g. a given lan; on switch a the port to our lan may be in vlan 10
and on switch b the port to the lan may be in vlan 20;

hardly to express this in the pseudonode lsp :-)

however, if you're talking about 802.1q you proposal would make sense.
(as the vlan tags are unique through the whole lan).

kind regards

Hannes Gredler

----------------------------------------------------------
   Hannes Gredler  -  Systems Engineer  -  Xylan Germany
 phone: +49 89 317842 22         mobile:  +49 171 2400794
 "minds like parachutes - they only work if they're open"
----------------------------------------------------------

get my public key at
http://pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xBE460089