Subject: [Isis-wg] ISO 10589 Editorship

From: "Lester Ginsberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 17:05:46 -0700 (PDT)

Over the past year I have been reporting on the status of the Second
Edition Draft of the ISIS specification - ISO 10589. In December of
1998, ISO JTC1/SC6 voted to convene an email editing meeting to review 
the deficiencies of the draft and work towards correcting them. Since
that time little progress has been made. The email editing meeting,
after a brief beginning, simply did not occur.

In July of 1999, SC6 voted to extend the email editing meeting into
September 1999, but this did not result in any activity by the email
editing group. Also, the editor of 10589 submitted his resignation due 
to health reasons.

It is quite clear that without an editor, this project within SC6/WG7
will not progress, despite the fact that there are a number of
companies/individuals with interest in this project. Although the
original scope of the second edition draft was editorial in nature
i.e. it attempted to fold in the various Technical Corrigenda and
Defect Reports that had been approved over the years, there have been
some preliminary discussions regarding expanding the scope of a second 
edition to include the ongoing work in the IETF ISIS-WG. This raises
the possibility that the eventual output of a new edition of 10589
could align the standard with the work both within the IETF and in
other more OSI oriented forums (e.g. SIF). Given the likelihood that
the use of Integrated IS-IS in networks with OSI and IP will increase
in the future, this would seem to be a worthy goal.

The Secretariat of SC6 has issued a call for volunteers for the
position of project editor for this document. Nominations for this
position must be submitted via an SC6 national body. Although the
original deadline for nominations was September 1, 1999, I have been
assured by the SC6 Secretariat that the deadline is flexible.

Anyone interested in serving in this capacity may contact me. I can
then forward your interest via the US WG7 TAG or arrange contact with
the appropriate body in another country if appropriate.

Thanx for your attention.

  Les

-- 

  -------------------------------------------------------------------
    VERTEL  [ formerly Telegenics / Retix ]
  -------------------------------------------------------------------
Les Ginsberg                     "Before enlightenment, chopping wood
[email-masked]             and drawing water. 
Vertel                            After enlightenment, chopping wood 
21300 Victory Blvd                  and drawing water." 
Suite 1200
Woodland Hills, Ca. 91367
818 227-1405 (Direct Dial)
818 227-1400 (Main)
818 888-0725(FAX)

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://external.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg