Subject: RE: [Isis-wg] draft-ietf-isis-traffic-01.txt

From: "Don Fedyk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 1999 17:33:55 -0400

I have read the draft and the scanned the working group to understand what 
is happening to the metric(s).  While it makes sense that the metrics for
IS-IS
were made larger and the 3 not commonly used metrics eliminated, I do not 
understand the proposal of a single Traffic Engineering Metric. In my 
experience multiple traffic engineering metrics for path selection allow 
better traffic engineering capabilities. 

Has any thought been given to multiple TE metrics? Can the current proposal
be 
expanded in the future ?

Don

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Li [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 1999 4:10 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Isis-wg] draft-ietf-isis-traffic-01.txt

Next order of business:

There's been a request that the WG consider "IS-IS extensions for Traffic
Engineering" for publication as an Informational RFC.  

We would like to start a WG last call on this document.  Please comment by
Friday, Oct. 15, 1999, 12:01 Pacific Time.

Thanks,
Tony & Tony

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://external.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://external.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

---

From: Tony Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 1999 15:16:52 -0700

Don,

|  I have read the draft and the scanned the working group to understand what 
|  is happening to the metric(s).  While it makes sense that the metrics for
|  IS-IS
|  were made larger and the 3 not commonly used metrics eliminated, I do not 
|  understand the proposal of a single Traffic Engineering Metric. 

Well, it's what we felt was needed.  Note that the existing metrics can
continue to be used if the network administrator/implementation allows it.
There's no reason that you can't run the traffic engineering TLVs in
parallel with the existing TLVs.

|  In my 
|  experience multiple traffic engineering metrics for path selection allow 
|  better traffic engineering capabilities. 

Please say more.  The customer base didn't request this flexibility.

|  Has any thought been given to multiple TE metrics? Can the current proposal
|  be expanded in the future ?

One of the great glories of TLV encoding is the flexibility for future
extensions.  ;-)

Tony