Subject: [Isis-wg] FYI Draft Metrics and Resource Classes for TE

From: "Don Fedyk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 16:07:32 -0400

We have submitted the draft: draft-fedyk-mpls-te-metrics-00.txt
for review to the following working groups:
- Traffic engineering
- MPLS
- IS-IS
- OSPF

We asked to present it to the TE and ISIS working groups.

Abstract

   There has recently been a lot of activity in defining the components
   for MPLS-based traffic engineering.  This includes the recent
   extensions of the Interior Gateway Protocols (IGPs) to carry metrics
   and resource class information about links.  This memo explores
   additional metrics that are useful for traffic engineering.  We also
   describe some of the subtleties associated with the use of the
   resource class (or color) vector that has been defined in the IGP
   extensions.

For those interested, a copy is avialable at:
http://www.ee.duke.edu/~ag/final-papers/mpls-te-metrics.txt
Thanks,
-Don Fedyk and Anoop Ghanwani

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://external.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

---

From: [email-masked] (Daniel Awduche)
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 16:26:11 -0400 (EDT)

Jon,

A note on your draft...

You made the following assertion in the draft..

 "On the other hand, it is also possible to look at bandwidth as an
  additive metric by using link costs that are in inverse proportion
  to available bandwidth; in such cases, the shortest path
  corresponds to the path with the most bandwidth."

This assertion is, of-course, false (that is that the shortest
path based on inverse bandwidths is the one with the most 
bandwidth). You may wish to correct it in the next iteration 
of your draft. 

Regards,
/Dan