Subject: Re: [Isis-wg] Re: internet-drafts/draft-ietf-isis-wg-255adj-02.txt

From: Radia Perlman - Boston Center for Networking <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 14:07:28 -0500 (EST)

From: [email-masked] (Christian E. Hopps)

	There are specific checks against the system ID when processing a
	received LSP (to determine if its self-originated).  So your proposed
	text should probably point out that these need to be expanded to check
	against any possible value that might be generated for the 6-byte
	prefix.
Agreed.
	
	It seems to me that there is nothing in the standard that requires
	System ID's to be MAC addresses.  Therefore how can you know that
	another system's System ID won't be one of your MAC addresses?  At least 
	2 implementations I know of let the user set the system ID to whatever
	they choose.  (And yes, I do think this would be rare in any case).
I hope when they do this that they clear the "global/local" bit in
what would be the OUI of the 6-byte quantity. Then, if you use
a globally assigned MAC address you're guaranteed not to conflict.
It might be nice to require anyone NOT using a MAC address to
make it look like a locally assigned MAC address.

Radia

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://external.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg