Subject: [Isis-wg] Is there an Ethertype value used for the IS-IS Routing protocol?

From: "Lengel, Patrick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 13:18:11 -0500

Question for the "IS-IS for IP Internets (isis)" Working Group,

Is there a two byte Ethertype value used for the IS-IS Routing protocol over
an Ethernet link?  If so, what is it?

I need to pick out all "Routed ISO" PDUs from a network card and forward
them to a router.  I see that RFC 2684 points out the LLC SAP value used for
Routed ISO PDUs as 0xFE and that the Network Layer Protocol ID specifies the
type of Routed ISO PDU that has been recieved.  However, on an Ethernet link
I could receive either 802.3 or Ethernet formatted PDUs.  I can resolve
Routed ISO traffic when packets are formatted to the 802.3 spec, however I
do not know how to detect Routed ISO traffic when packets are formatted to
the Ethernet spec and use a two byte Ethertype value.

Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you...........   Patrick Lengel

______________________________________________________________
Patrick Lengel                     Voice: (724)742-6780
Senior Software Engineer           Fax:   (724)742-6800
Marconi Communications             Email: [email-masked]
2000 FORE Drive                    URL:   www.marconi.com
Warrendale, PA 15086-7566
______________________________________________________________

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://external.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

---

From: "Jeff Learman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 13:23:04 -0500

Patrick,

RFC 1195 says to use packet formats defined in ISO 10589, which requires
802.3 encapsulation.  Any attempt to use an Ethertype code for ISO network
layer packets would have caused serious interoperability problems with
existing equipment, so I don't think anyone has tried to push it.
I do know of a number of implementations (mostly SONET NEs) that won't
recognize IS-IS or CLNP packets if they're sent using Ethernet-format
frames.

Regards,
Jeff

----- Original Message -----
From: Lengel, Patrick <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2001 1:18 PM
Subject: [Isis-wg] Is there an Ethertype value used for the IS-IS Routing
protocol?