Subject: [Isis-wg] Usage of Pt-to-Pt Circuit Id

From: "Sivakumar A" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 14:53:34 +0530

Hello all,

Why is Pt-to-Pt Circuit ID is calculated and where it is used? Any help regarding this is appretiated.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Sivakumar A
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from Indiatimes at  http://email.indiatimes.com

---

From: Jeff Parker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 15:15:46 -0400

> Why is Pt-to-Pt Circuit ID is calculated and where it is used?  

One place this is used is in the three-way handshake describe
by Katz and Saluja in "Three-Way Handshake for IS-IS Point-to-
Point Adjacencies" which seems to have aged off the workgroup
page.  

It is used there to detect that the remote side has heard your
hellos.  It's a form of active listening, repeating what you
have just heard, and allows you to detect some anomalous one-way
connected situations.  

- jeff parker
- axiowave networks