Subject: [Isis-wg] isisCircAdjChanges and isisSysOwnLSPPurges

From: "Shmuel Froimovich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 10:30:06 +0200

Hi,

The isisCircAdjChanges field is described in the MIB as "the number of
times an adjacency state change has occurred on this circuit."

However, the user might be more interested in the number of times an
adjacency went in and out of the "up" state.
It may not be useful to include adjacency state changes into "init" or
"down" in this sum.
Add to this the 3-way-handshake and you may add some more state changes.

For example, when an adjacency goes up, it will traverse through the
states "down", "init" and "up".  When it goes down, it will go through
"init" and "down". This will result in 5 state changes instead of two
(which actually interest the user).

While we're at it, consider the field isisSysOwnLSPPurges which
describes the "number of times a zero-age copy of the system's own LSP
is received from some other node".
The counter's purpose is to indicate abnormal behaviors and warn against
problems such as miss-configurations.
Do we include also the DR purges? (a new DR purges the old DR's LSPs).
This might render the counter useless for warning against network
problems.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Shmulik.

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://external.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg