Subject: [Isis-wg] Replacing IS-IS Neighbors TLV , etc in TE??

From: "Chan, Chung Ming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 13:21:08 -1000

Hi,
I just come across draft-ietf-sis-trafic-0.4.txt and read that the intend of
introducing some of new TLVs are to replace the ones defined in ISO10589.
e.g., Extended IS Reachability TVL will replace ISIS-Neighbors (code 2)

1) Does it mean that if an Implementation supports this new draft, then it
SHALL not use ISIS Neighbor TLV at all?

	2) If that is the case, dose any one know where can find any info
talks about the migration or this type of related stuffs?

	Thanks!

Ming Chan
_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://external.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

---

From: Matthew Kontoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 09:45:47 -0500

Hi,

"Chan, Chung Ming" wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> I just came across draft-ietf-isis-traffic-04.txt and read that the intent of
> introducing some of new TLVs are to replace the ones defined in ISO 10589.
> e.g., Extended IS Reachability TLV will replace ISIS-Neighbors (code 2)
> 

No. Whether or not the ISIS Neighbor TLV is used is up to the implementation
but it is a real good idea to be backward compatible with IS-IS routers that
don't support the draft.

> 2) If that is the case, does any one know where I can find any info
> that talks about the migration or this type of related stuff?

For a migration to occur smoothly - without losing routes - you need to be 
able to handle both the old style IS neighbor TLV and the new style (extended 
IS Reachability TLV). You will need to decide which TLV you will use when
running your SPF. 

Matt