Subject: [Isis-wg] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-isis-3way-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 08:45:36 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IS-IS for IP Internets Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Three-Way Handshake for IS-IS Point-to-Point 
                          Adjacencies
	Author(s)	: D. Katz, R. Saluja
	Filename	: draft-ietf-isis-3way-04.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 07-Jan-02
	
The IS-IS routing protocol (ISO 10589) requires reliable protocols at
the link layer for point-to-point links. As a result, it does not use
a three-way handshake when establishing adjacencies on point-to-point
media. This paper defines an backward-compatible extension to the
protocol that provides for a three-way handshake. It is fully
interoperable with systems that do not support the extension.
Additionally, the extension allows the robust operation of more than
256 point-to-point links on a single router.
This extension has been implemented by multiple router vendors;  this
paper is provided as information to the Internet community in order
to allow interoperable implementations to be built by other vendors.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-isis-3way-04.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-isis-3way-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-isis-3way-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.