Subject: [Isis-wg] ISIS routing on DA circuit

From: "Vijay Nath" <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Jan 2002 10:18:22 -0000

Hi All,

  As per spec 10589, DA circuits shall not send Hellos, LSPs and SNPs.Then how dynamic routing is achieved ??.
or it is not possible (dynamic routing) in DA circuits??.

TIA,
V Nath 

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://external.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

---

From: mike shand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 21:58:33 +0000

At 10:18 29/01/2002 +0000, Vijay  Nath wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>   As per spec 10589, DA circuits shall not send Hellos, LSPs and 
> SNPs.Then how dynamic routing is achieved ??.

It's not possible. A DA circuit has a reachable address prefix (aka manual 
route) attached to it, and the circuit is only brought up when there is 
traffic to that destination. The manual route is of course advertised in 
LSPs and propagated to other routers so that they know where to send the 
traffic. It was primarily designed for use with X.25 SVCs(which tells you 
how old it is), where you only want to pay for a virtual circuit when you 
have traffic.

         Mike