Subject: Re: [Isis-wg] Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-isis-experimental-tlv-03.txt

From: Kireeti Kompella <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 18:46:42 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004, Philip Christian wrote:

> There isn't one.
>
> It pragmatic / procedural decision.
>
> I don't know enough about SNMP IDs to know how easy they are to get, how
> much they cost, if they will ever run out, and if they will always be four
> bytes.  I guess four bytes is a lot of numbers....

a) To get these, you ask IANA.  It's free and fairly easy.
	http://www.iana.org/assignments/enterprise-numbers
b) There are 20,838 allocated out of 2^32 possible.  Yes, they will
   run out.  No, I'm not worried.
c) If running out is an issue, then OUIs have a bigger problem :-)

One other reason that enterprise numbers might be useful is that RSVP
(and maybe OSPF) "Vendor Private" code points will use enterprise
numbers to identify the owner of private extensions.  See
	draft-kompella-rsvp-change-xx.txt and
	draft-kompella-ospf-iana-00.txt
The RSVP doc is pretty much ready for publication.  The OSPF doc has a
long way to go yet.

As for the rest, I don't particularly care if there is a discriminator
byte, or we use only enterprise numbers.  I have a slight preference
for a discriminator byte, but not enough to do something about it.

Kireeti.
-------

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg