Subject: [Isis-wg] Dest MAC address

From: Abhishek Verma <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 12:25:05 +0530

Hi,

ISIS uses well known MAC address ((0x0180c2000014 and 15) for all its
L1 and L2 messages on a broadcast medium. Does the same hold true for
all p2p communication too? I belive it should use those same well
known MAC addresses even though an ISIS router is only communicating
with one ISIS router on a p2p link. Reason being that if it wants to
know the MAC address of the neighboring router then it will need to
issue an ARP message (which mandates an IP stack). And since ISIS can
run without an IP stack it must be using those well known L2 MAC
address in case of ISIS over p2p links also.

Is my assumption and reasoning correct?

Thanks,
Abhishek

--
Class of 2004
Institute of Technology, BHU
Varanasi, India

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

---

From: mike shand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 09:13:04 +0000

>address in case of ISIS over p2p links also.

See draft-ietf-isis-igp-p2p-over-lan-05.txt

When you say ALL p2p communication, you presumably mean all p2p over 
broadcast medium. Of course, conventional p2p uses the mechanism specified 
in ISO/IEC 10589.

         Mike

---

From: Abhishek Verma <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 14:52:14 +0530

> broadcast medium. Of course, conventional p2p uses the mechanism specified

I'm sorry i meant ISIS over p2p links (ATM/FR/OC/etc).

Abhishek.

--

---

From: Jeff Learman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 09:06:26 -0500

In that case, no MAC address is used because there's no Ethernet
header.