Subject: [Isms] discovery

From: "David Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 15:06:03 -0500

Hi,

I recommend standardizing the discovery mechanisms to include three
pieces of data - contextengineID, sysDescriptor, and sysObjectID.
Those three items  identify the SNMP entity. 

Naming the variables that can be returned by a compliant
implementation of this mechanism allows us to discuss the security
considerations of the data revealed. Leaving it to the implementation
to allow any data in the request/response makes it pretty much
impossble to describe the security implications of the discovery
mechanism.

It could be argued that additional system objects could be included in
the discovery, and we can discuss the security implications of
including those in the request.

David Harrington
[email-masked] 
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Isms mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isms