Subject: [Isms] Comments about draft-ietf-isms-secshell-13

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 13:08:53 +0200

I have more comments about Section 5, but I'll send them in a
separate email.

- Section 3.1.2: there's some duplication of text (the sentence "The
transport layer algorithms...")

- Section 3.1.3, "DISCUSS: do we really need this paragraph?" Seems
useful to me.

- Section 4: Do we really need to duplicate this text in all three
documents? May be do -- but we should say in the beginning that
Sections 4 through 4.2.4 are duplicated from tmsm-15 Section 5 for
convenience (And add a note to the RFC Editor to keep the wording
exactly the same in all three documents.)

- Section 4.3.1, "for which a SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_SUCCESS has been received"
should be "for which ... has been sent" (also occurs in in Section 5.1)

- Section 5.3: '"SNMP" as an SSH subsystem', should be in lowercase
"snmp" (subsystem names are case-sensitive)

- Secton 8, "two well-known ports" -- hmm, rest of the document seems
to assume a single port? (including IANA considerations and several
other places) 

- Section 8, last sentence: is this sentence recommending that we create
a standard protocol for configuring SSH credentials? If yes, it needs
some rephrasing... (since such protocol does not yet exist,
recommending its use would be a bit strange -- but if that's the
intention, some rephrasing is still needed)

- Section 10, "snmp" is an SSH Subsystem Name, not an SSH Service Name 
(and yes, RFC 4742 got this wrong -- I'll look into filing an erratum 
and fixing the IANA registry).

Best regards,
Pasi
_______________________________________________
Isms mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isms

---

From: "David Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 12:12:02 -0500

> exactly the same in all three documents.)

Hi,

I think this change has been confusing to most readers. I recommend
having this text only in tmsm, and then having the others docs
reference the text just prior to explaining the document-specific
cache differences.

dbh