Subject: Re: [Isms] fingerprint TCs and hash types

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 18:13:09 -0400

--On Thursday, September 10, 2009 01:48:55 PM -0700 Wes Hardaker 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> After doing research about what other fingerprinting / hash textual
> conventions were out there, I found none.  Which surprised me.  The end
> result was there was nothing to reuse, so we do need to define our own.

Then we should be going to PKIX or maybe even SAAG for advice.  If we're 
going to define something we expect to be reused, we should make sure to 
get it right, or better, get it done right in a more appropriate forum.

-- Jeff

---

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 16:07:28 -0700

>>>>> On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 18:13:09 -0400, Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]> said:

JH> Then we should be going to PKIX or maybe even SAAG for advice.  If
JH> we're going to define something we expect to be reused, we should make
JH> sure to get it right, or better, get it done right in a more
JH> appropriate forum.

Splitting it out into another document and running it quickly through
another WG is certainly an option.  In the end, I'd expect those other
working groups to ask "how are you planning on using it?".  It needs to
be a joint effort and I disagree that "here" isn't the right place to
discuss the "how to use it" aspect (which is one of the reasons the
question was asking about the right SNMP data type to use).
-- 
Wes Hardaker
Cobham Analytic Solutions

---

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 19:25:08 -0400

--On Thursday, September 10, 2009 04:07:28 PM -0700 Wes Hardaker 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> be a joint effort and

> I disagree that "here" isn't the right place to

I don't think I said that, and I certainly didn't intend to.  Here is 
almost certainly the only reasonable place to talk about SNMP use of 
fingerprints.  But defining a standard fingerprint format, especially if 
it's going to be used outside of SNMP, needs a broader audience than we 
typically have here.

-- Jeff

---

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 06:55:05 -0700

>>>>> On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 19:25:08 -0400, Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]> said:

JH> Here is almost certainly the only reasonable place to talk about
JH> SNMP use of But defining a standard fingerprint format, especially
JH> if it's going to be used outside of SNMP, needs a broader audience
JH> than we typically have here.

I never tried to imply we were standardizing something that would be
used outside of SNMP.  The TC that was defined was only for SNMP use.
And, I suppose, things that may derive from it some day (e.g. netconf).
-- 
Wes Hardaker
Cobham Analytic Solutions