Subject: Protocol Action: The Multi-Class Extension to Multi-Link PPP to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 09:35:23 -0400

The IESG has approved publication of the following Internet-Drafts as
Proposed Standards:

 o The Multi-Class Extension to Multi-Link PPP
	<draft-ietf-issll-isslow-mcml-06.txt>

o PPP in a real-time oriented HDLC-like framing 
	<draft-ietf-issll-isslow-rtf-05.txt>

o Integrated Services Mappings for Low Speed Networks 
	<draft-ietf-issll-isslow-svcmap-08.txt>

In the same action, the IESG also approved publication of Providing
integrated services over low-bitrate links
<draft-ietf-issll-isslow-06.txt> as an Informational RFC.

These documents are the product of the Integrated Services over
Specific Link Layers Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Scott
Bradner and Vern Paxson.

Technical Summary
 
  These documents describe an architecture and technology for
  providing integrated services over low-bitrate links, such as
  modem lines, ISDN B-channels, and sub-T1 links.  The main
  components of the architecture are: a real-time encapsulation
  format for asynchronous and synchronous low-bitrate links,
  a header compression architecture optimized for real-time flows,
  elements of negotiation protocols used between routers (or
  between hosts and routers), and announcement protocols used by
  applications to allow this negotiation to take place.

  The Multi-Class Extension to Multi-Link PPP document describes
  a fragment-oriented solution for the real-time encapsulation format
  part of the architecture.  The general approach is to start from the
  PPP Multilink fragmentation protocol and provide a small number
  of extensions to add functionality and reduce the overhead.

  The PPP in a real-time oriented HDLC-like framing document
  describes a suspend/resume-oriented solution for the real-time
  encapsulation format part of the architecture.  The general
  approach is to start from the PPP Multilink fragmentation protocol
  and its multi-class extension and add suspend/resume in a way
  that is as compatible to existing hard- and firmware as possible.

  The Integrated Services Mappings for Low Speed Networks
  document defines the service mappings of the IETF Integrated
  Services for low-bitrate links, specifically the controlled load [5]
  and guaranteed [6] services.  The approach takes the form of a
  set of guidelines and considerations for implementing these
  services, along  with evaluation criteria for elements providing
  these services.

Working Group Summary

The working group supported these documents and no issues were raised
during IETF Last-Call

Protocol Quality
'
  These documents were reviewed for the IESG by Scott Bradner.