Subject: 2-10 paragraphs

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 16:06:09 -0500

How about...

Alternative Triggers initiating Aggregated Reservations

It will be noted that this document presumes throughout that what are being
aggregated are microflows which are themselves signalled by RSVP as
described in [RFC2205]. It should be clear that alternative triggers are
possible.

The simplest example of an alternative configuration is the static
configuration of an aggregated reservation of a certain amount for traffic
matching a given DSCP and via a given other device. This would have to be
configured in at least the system originating the PATH message. The
deaggregating device could detect that the PATH message is directed to it,
and it is configured to short circuit RSVP messages. It would simply turn
the PATH into the indicated RESV and send it back. Alternatively, it could
be configured in the aggregator and the deaggregator, with the matching of
configurations a form of consistency check. A slightly more complex example
would have such a thing configured "on the fly" by a policy device such as
a Bandwidth Broker, with the same net effect.

A different service might result when a proxy is configured into a router.
The proxy would be triggered by the passage of a message, perhaps a TCP SYN
having certain source, destination, and ports, that matches some
classifier. Under configuration or policy control, the router would trigger
a PATH message with some set of attributes to also proceed, setting up or
managing an aggregated RSVP path.

Or, one could imagine that the aggregator and/or deaggregator are PSTN
Gateways, and the reservation is between two such gateways or one such
gateway and some set of IP Telephones. In such a case, the trigger would
not be an RSVP message, but a call initiation.

Functionally, each of this is equivalent to the case of aggregating an
[RFC2205] Microflow with the exception that the microflow's signalling does
not exist and cannot therefore be used as a trigger, so some additional
knowledge is required in setting up the aggregate reservation.