Subject: RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-issll-rsvp-cap-00.txt

From: Shahram Davari <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 13:48:50 -0700

There are two separate issues:

1) The draft is inconsistent in it uses of upstream and downstream words. In
some parts of the draft upstream mean sender towards receiver, yet in some
other part of the draft it means receiver toward sender.

2) Usually upstream means from sender of data to receiver of data (note it
is data not control)  and downstream means from receiver of data to sender
of data. 

The first issue is unacceptable, while the second issue is a definition
only, and a different definition may be used if stated clearly.

Regards,
-Shahram

-----Original Message-----
From: Kwok-Ho Chan [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2000 10:28 AM
To: Shahram Davari
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-issll-rsvp-cap-00.txt

May be some clarification of flow direction as follows is needed?
Sender and Receiver are with respect to the uni-directional packet flow.
Downstream = Sender towards Receiver.
Upstream = Receiver towards Sender.

Path Msg travels from Senders towards Receivers,
ResV Msg travels from Receivers towards Senders.

Maybe the use of "toward Receivers" and "toward Senders" is
more concise?

-- Kwok --

At 07:05 AM 9/12/00 -0700, Shahram Davari wrote:
>Hi,
>
>To the author of this draft:
>
>Nice draft, but I think you have completely mixed up the meanings of
>upstream and downstream in your draft. In general the PATH message travels
>from upstream to downstream and the RESV message travels from downstream to
>upstream. In this draft sometimes this is true but in most cases it is
>completely reversed. The way the draft is currently written is not
readable.
>
>
>Regards,
>-Shahram
>
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
>Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2000 6:50 AM
>Cc: [email-masked]
>Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-issll-rsvp-cap-00.txt
>
>
>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
>directories.
>This draft is a work item of the Integrated Services over Specific Link
>Layers Working Group of the IETF.
>
>	Title		: Capability Negotiation: The RSVP CAP Object
>	Author(s)	: S. Hamid
>	Filename	: draft-ietf-issll-rsvp-cap-00.txt
>	Pages		: 6
>	Date		: 11-Sep-00
>	
>The DCLASS object is proposed in [DCLASS] to represent and carry 
>Differentiated Services Code Points (DSCPs) within RSVP messages. The
>principle use of the DCLASS object is to carry DSCP information
>between a DS network and upstream nodes that may wish to mark packets
>with DSCP values. A network element in the DS network determines the
>value for DSCP which is further carried as a DCLASS object in RSVP 
>RESV message to the sender host.
>
>A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-issll-rsvp-cap-00.txt
>
>Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
username
>"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
>type "cd internet-drafts" and then
>	"get draft-ietf-issll-rsvp-cap-00.txt".
>
>A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
>http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
>or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt
>
>
>Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.
>
>Send a message to:
>	[email-masked].
>In the body type:
>	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-issll-rsvp-cap-00.txt".
>	
>NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
>	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
>	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
>	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
>	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
>	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
>	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
>	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
>	how to manipulate these messages.
>		
>		
>Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
>implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
>Internet-Draft.
>

---

From: John Wroclawski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 18:31:38 -0400

>is data not control)  and downstream means from receiver of data to sender

Hi Shahram,

I would have said the opposite (i.e, data flows downstream). Did you 
mistype, or is there an issue?

John