Subject: Motivation for Intserv/Diffserv interoperation

From: Kuthonuzo Luruo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 15:28:17 -0500 (CDT)

hi,

My initial perception of the motivation for Intserv/diffserv interworking
was that the mathematically bound QoS guarantees associated with Intserv,
when combined with Diffserv would bring better QoS performance to the
end-users than when Diffserv alone, with its less strict QoS guarantees is
used. Thus from this viewpoint, given a number of network elements, the
more number of Intserv network elements you have in the end-to-end path
the better would be the QoS performance.

However, from RFC 2998 + other documents on the web, I've come to the
conclusion that the main motivation for using Intserv with Diffserv is the
signalling control and end-to-end semantics that RSVP/Intserv brings to
the local behavior definition inclination of Diffserv. The first three of
the four benefits mentioned in Section 2 of RFC 2998:

*Resource Based Admission Control
*Policy Based Admission Control
*Assistance in Traffic Identification/Classifica
*Traffic Conditioning

seem to support this.

Can I conclude that my initial perception was wrong and the second
viewpoint is more in line with the IETF sentiment?

thanks for any inputs. 

-thonuzo