Subject: [ITU+IETF] FYI - Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-foster-e164-gstn-np-00.txt

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 12:04:10 -0600

>To: IETF-Announce: ;
>From: [email-masked]
>Reply-to: [email-masked]
>Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-foster-e164-gstn-np-00.txt
>Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 08:22:10 -0500
>Sender: [email-masked]
>
>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
>directories.
>
>
>         Title           : Number Portability in the GSTN: An Overview
>         Author(s)       : M. Foster, J. Yu, T. McGarry
>         Filename        : draft-foster-e164-gstn-np-00.txt
>         Pages           : 28
>         Date            : 16-Mar-00
>
>This document provides an overview of E.164 telephone number
>portability (NP) in the Global Switched Telephone Network (GSTN).
>There are three types of number portability: service provider
>portability (SPNP), location portability, and service portability.
>Service provider portability, the focus of the present draft, is a
>regulatory imperative in many countries seeking to liberalize local
>telephony service competition, by enabling end-users to retain pre-
>existing telephone numbers while changing service providers.
>Implementation of NP within national GSTN entails potentially
>significant changes to numbering administration, network element
>signaling, call routing and processing, billing, service management,
>and other functions.  NP changes the fundamental nature of a dialed
>E.164 number from a hierarchical physical routing address to a
>virtual address, thereby requiring the transparent translation of
>the later to the former.  In addition, there are various regulatory
>constraints which establish relevant parameters for NP
>implementation, most of which are not network technology specific.
>Consequently, the implementation of NP behavior consistent with
>applicable regulatory constraints, as well as the need for
>interoperation with the existing GSTN NP implementations, are
>relevant topics for numerous areas of IP telephony work-in-progress
>at IETF.
>
>A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-foster-e164-gstn-np-00.txt
>
>Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
>"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
>type "cd internet-drafts" and then
>         "get draft-foster-e164-gstn-np-00.txt".
>
>A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
>http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
>or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt
>
>
>Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.
>
>Send a message to:
>         [email-masked].
>In the body type:
>         "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-foster-e164-gstn-np-00.txt".
>
>NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
>         MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
>         feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
>         command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
>         a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
>         exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
>         "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
>         up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
>         how to manipulate these messages.
>
>
>Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
>implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
>Internet-Draft.
>Content-Type: text/plain
>Content-ID:     <[email-masked]>
>
>ENCODING mime
>FILE /internet-drafts/draft-foster-e164-gstn-np-00.txt
>
><ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-foster-e164-gstn-np-00.txt>

Richard Shockey
Shockey Consulting LLC
8045 Big Bend Blvd. Suite 110
St. Louis, MO 63119
Voice 314.918.9020
eFAX Fax to EMail 815.333.1237 (Preferred for Fax)
INTERNET Mail & IFAX : [email-masked]
GSTN Fax 314.918.9015
MediaGate iPost VoiceMail and Fax 800.260.4464
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

_______________________________________________
ITU+IETF mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/itu+ietf